No announcement yet.

Sad reflection of how things are going.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad reflection of how things are going.

A friend of mine who I go to football matches with wants to move as local yobs attack his house and his neighbours daily. He wants to move nearer where I live as it's the only thing he could afford.
    MY advise is don't bother as he'll find himself in the same boat in a couple of years as our area is going down steadily.
    Sad really isn't it.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

yupp!
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I don't mean to sound rude or anything but I'm not quite sure I understand.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

What's a "Yob?"

Comment

Yob - short for
          yobbo n. A yobbo is a hooligan or general "bad egg" - the word is usually seen in the context of upper-middle-class people referring to working-class ones - you might hear it in a situation like "Well, yes, Mildred - my Jeremy used to be such a sensible boy but now he's got mixed up with this awful crowd of yobbos!" The derivation of the word is apparently modified back-slang - the monicker "boyo" became "yobbo".

Comment

Another friend of mine came home to find a stolen card parked next to his house wall with a can of petrol in the back. So it was going to be torched and probably take the house with it. The police response was "so what" when he rang them up.
            While he and some other friends were moving it the police did turn up so thats something but you get the feeling you're not supposed to report crime.
            By the way theres another car not far away and thats going to torched no doubt shortly.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

A few miles from us is a subdivison with an apartment complex at the front. Of course over the years many of the kids from these apartments become "Yobs", causing vandalism, doing breakins etc.

Our cities answer: the city council voted to rent one of the apartments in the middle of where most of the "Yobs" live and put a police mini-station in it

The mini-station is being staffed, and the entire area being patrolled, by the same officers all the time. Computer records of previous trouble makers living in the area are also available both in the mini-station and the prowl cars (both of which are networked back to the police depts. main computer), so the police officers know who the "Yobs" are on sight.

Things have not been good for the bad guys of late

As a result of this move the crime rate in that sub went down about 80% + in less than 3 months. The citizenry is very happy and the city is talking about expanding the program to other areas with the same problem.

Dr. Mordrid

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 November 2002, 10:42.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Sounds like an excelent solution

If we just could get some more cops here in Sweden
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

We don't have any problem getting enough police officers when we need 'em as this city is on top of the subject of public safety. This is partly because of the airport being within city limits but also because the public demands it. Ex military, especially former MP's, are definitely preferred but it seems they also want athletes. Some of our cops, even the women, are huge when it comes to physical development

They have also started bicycle patrols in the subs, which means the kids can't get away from prowl cars by just ducking between buildings.

One other policy of note: on any given day one or two officers are stationed in the high school and middle school. They serve both on the counselling staff and also serve in a building security function.

If trouble starts in the school, or if trouble comes from without, they get instant backup as the main police building is < 1 mile away.

Dr. Mordrid

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 November 2002, 10:55.
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Most things in sweden are going down the tubes....
                    They have been cutting down hard on cops the last 10 years....

Comment

Dr M that solution is too easy. Also every year people ask for more police on the beat but it never happens. Haven't seen one in our area for years. Police don't even bother investigating arson and if you see above they don't seem even interested in preventing it.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                      X