Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here have/had a dog with Systemic Lupus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here have/had a dog with Systemic Lupus?

Just wondering. Kiska dropped from 57lbs (26kilos) to 40 (18) in two weeks. He has Discoid Lupus, as you can tell by his nose in the pics, but now the tests say Systemic as well. We get the Cortico roid treatment now. Hopefully he'll improve, but in a very short time we've gone from "psycho-spaz" to not being able to climb stairs or stand without shaking due to muscle waste.

Anyone here have any experience? Should I relax a little about him or start stressing more?
    Attached Files
    Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

I have a friend with Lupus, and I understand its where the immnume system starts to attack the lining of the heart. From what he told me they had him on steroids for a period of time to help out with the syptoms back a couple years ago, but since I've known him he hasn't had any problems with it. Not sure if its same in canines or not. Nice looking dog BTW
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

What a beautiful dog!
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I've seen SLE (systemic lupus erathematosis) in a few people, but never in animals...
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy [MU]
          I've seen SLE (systemic lupus erathematosis) in a few people, but never in animals...
          hmm, aren't people animals?
          the steroids will damp down the immune reaction.
          hope he has a long lasting remission though that's not guaranteed!

Comment

And isn't lupus the latin for wolf? Which would suggest that dogs could get it.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I have been doing some searching on the net and found some websites that might be of use. I'm really sorry to hear about your pet, they are our only friends that don't care what you look like in the morning and try to cheer you up when your down. I sincerly hope everything turns out ok.

Liquid Memory

I don't know if these will help you or not, I found about 10,000 websites that had information on SLE for animals. The above links seem like the best bet for info though. Hope this helps ya.

Liquid Memory
              Peace Out.

WORLD PEACE

Think IT. Live IT. Be IT.

<a href="http://bellsouthpwp.net/L/i/Liquid-Memory/fearit/index.htm">F.E.A.R. IT</a>
              Free Enterprise About Reality

Comment

Sorry to hear that, I'm a dog lover as well...Hope he improves, he's really cute!

~Sethos
                "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

He may or may not get better. This disease in humans tends to be of a remitting/relapsing type. I have seen a few cases of it when I was in med. school and the outcome was not good in any of them. Prepare for the worst, but it may not happen. Do not stress too much, just try as much as possible to deal with each day as it comes.
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I really hope you dog gets better, it's sad to see something like this happen to such a beautiful creature.

Comment

Thanks guys for the input, sincerely.

Zokes and Sethos, he's a sweetheart too, really likes the girls more than guys also, so he'salsways helped me out a bit with the ladies .

Scott, Ayoub, GNEP and Paddy, yeah, it is similar between canines and humans. Spent most of last night reading up on it.
                      This is a rare disease of the immune system. In this disease, the immune system forms antibodies against the nuclear component of its own cells. This can cause a variety of effects but the most common ones are arthritis, kidney disease, skin disease and blood disorders (anemia and/or decreased in platelet numbers).
                      Liquid, Thanks for the links. Checked out some of them last night, going to look up the others in a bit.

Denty, thanks for the direct input, I really appreciate it. I'm not too worried right now, just going to start treatment and take it frome there. Right now he's lost so much skeletal muscle his cheek bones stick out like aircraft wings, but he's just as happy as ever which is cool. We can work on his physique, but importantly, his psyche seems fine.

Have to call the vet in a few about treatment options. Gentelmen... we CAN rebuild him... we have the people... we have the technology . . .
                      Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdrivrco
                        Thanks guys for the input, sincerely.

Zokes and Sethos, he's a sweetheart too, really likes the girls more than guys also, so he'salsways helped me out a bit with the ladies .
                        Note to self: Get myself a dog!

Jokes aside I can see why your concerned for Kiska. I really hope that eveything goes well. Keep us updated too.

Comment

Working...
                        X