Lord of the Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lord of the Rings

Does anyone have any juicy gossip (or facts) on the upcoming films The Two Towers and the Return of the King? I hear that they cut quite a lot of movie time from the final film. I hope it goes back into the DVD.
    I love the Lord of the Rings (books and/or film)
    0%
    It's not the greatest...
    0%
    What is the Lord of the Rings?
    0%
    --Insert something here--

not me ... i am living on an owaisis with no means of comunication ... and it wont get here till late january
    "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Originally posted by SpiralDragon
      not me ... i am living on an owaisis with no means of comunication ... and it wont get here till late january
      I feel sorry for you, I have been waiting for this film for a long time...
      --Insert something here--

Comment

The films sucked in comparison to the book, well, part 1 did at least.
        Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Originally posted by knirfie
          The films sucked in comparison to the book, well, part 1 did at least.
          I have to disagree. I think they did a very good job, considering how hard it is to make a book into a movie. It is a given that the book will be better. But, this one is the closest to following the book I have seen.

Just my .02

Besides, who listens to a chicken??
          "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

closest to following the book? what was the same? hobbit gets a ring, has to go on an adventure. that's about all that was the same between movie and book.
            Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Yeah! The movie sucked! They should have taken the book contents and put it on screen verbatim! Where's Tom Bombadil? Where's the Barrow Wrights? Where are the hours of mind-numbing elven music describing the ancient history of Middle Earth? Where are the other hours of scenes showing Frodo living in the Shire, putting up with annoying relatives before he finally gets off his butt and leaves? I can't believe the movie was only three hours long, it should have been at least 20!

Comment

Originally posted by knirfie
                closest to following the book? what was the same? hobbit gets a ring, has to go on an adventure. that's about all that was the same between movie and book.
                The extended version follows a lot more closely to the book, but besides that I think even the orginal follows pretty closely considering how Hollywood usually stretches things. I can't wait for The Two Towers.
                System Specs:
                Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
                May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
                Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
                And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
                just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
                For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

IMO the books are better than the movie. they are probably one of the best fantasy novel set written in the 20th century... the language are marvellous too...

Comment

Oh yeah, the books are definitely better, nobody could expect otherwise. However, the movies so far seem to have hit a much higher mark than I was expecting from Hollywood.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

yup... usually movies just ruin the books for the sake of the intelligence of "average joes" (okie no offense intended).

Comment

i hear there will be a ring.
                        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

ALL YOUR RINGS ARE BELONG TO US

Comment

no way they could make a movie that lasts long enough to fully represent the book

Making one of these films would go somewhat like this:

1) Large sections of the book get scrapped.
                            2) The story doesn't fit together anymore, so they add some extra planks of wood and putty to fix it up.
                            3) They realize half the remaining scenes don't work well as a movie, so they get the putty out again, and smash with a hammer and putty it up again until it works as a movie.
                            4) They film and put together this contraption, and then test screen it to closed door audiences. They leave their feedback, and they get the hammer and putty out again to fix some of the complaints.
                            5) They realize the result is still far too long (4 hours or more) and again start dropping bits and peices on the floor, using more putty to fill in the gaps.
                            6) Finally, the finished movie is released, which quite rightly, is a fair bit removed from the book.
                            7) Then the makers get flamed into oblivion by the book's diehard addicts for not including every little detail that they thought was important.

I beleive the first LOTR movie was pretty good (I should read the book too one day) when you:
                            1) don't spend all day cross analyizing it with the book. Yep, its not the same as the book, get over it
                            2) realize that this was only the first part of 3, and that this was about character and story development.

Now, if you want me, I'll just be hiding from those die hard LOTR fanatics under this rock
                            80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Ajax,

Final running time, like the first movie, is 179 minutes. Just under three hours - the magic number for a theatrical release nowadays. *shrug*

The total amount of film for this movie is, like the first one, about 4.5 hours, give or take. The total amount of film likely to make it into the "extended version" will, similarly to the first, likely be 3:30 or 3:40.

Knirfie,

Look, Jackson did an AMAZING job of translating this to film.

Let's get a few things straight:

Tom Bombadil:

SERVES NO PURPOSE IN THE NARRATIVE. NONE. Tolkien himself admitted that it just muddied up the story and made people ask stupid questions about a being that was put in as a bit of fun for his kids (Tom Bombadil was a silly doll that his kids used to play with, and he made up stories about the fellow...). Ask the real Tolkien geeks (for example the crew over at The Green Books (see end of post for link), and they'll tell you that he is utterly unimportant to the story. In fact it was a total devolution in terms of storytelling style. The ONLY important thing about the entire Tom sequence is the barrows, and even then only because they get the swords there.

Changes:

How, on film, are we supposed to show 50-year expanses of time? I mean COME ON. You HAVE to change stuff, in order to get it on film. In the book, Tolkien can get away with "and seasons came and went and when Frodo was 50..." but you can't DO that in a movie.

Jackson did an excellent job of keeping the FEEL of the book true in the film. Additionally, every single scene was EXACTLY the way I imagined it whilst reading the books. I got ****ing CHILLS when I saw the Argonath, because I had seen them in a dream after reading the book the first time and it looked EXACTLY LIKE THAT.

Of course, the fact that he had Lee and Howe doing art and sets doesn't hurt at all.

So... gimme a good example. Gimme a scene that was in the movie that was SUBSTANTIALLY different from the books, and I'll either give you a good reason why or explain why you're remembering the books wrong.

Can you tell I really like LOTR?

- Gurm

P.S.

The Green Books are available at TheOneRing...

The latest Lord of the Rings on Amazon Prime news and info | The worlds and works of JRR Tolkien. TheOneRing.net - Online fan community since 1999
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X