X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HAHAHAHAHAAHHAA*10 @ MJA
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I suppose that's all true.. I don't really find a vacation in Mexico all that appealing for those same reasons, but everyone says I'm nuts.

Comment

I guess you are all ignoring the human rights issue with Turkey. They have consistently been listed by amnesty for human rights violations. They have, for years, denied the Kurdish population the right to use their own language, have their own schools etc. They have a looooonggg record of political prisoners. Most resently a jurnalist was murdered because of his views. In 1998 there was a soft coup and Erbakan was thrown out. Not to mention the occupation of Cyprus since 1974.

I do think that all these are compelling enough. Turkey has a long way to go in order to become trully democratic.

Comment

Yes efty I agree, those issues are the most troublesome.

Comment

Indeed. Although actually setting a date "to start discussion on entry" hopefully will force a dialogue on the human rights issues. As far as I know, Turkey is improving its record; but as it (I am sure) will be made 101% clear such that abuses will not be tolerated, and any seen/heard of will jeopoardise (sp?) their position as *potential* entrants, then I see it as a good thing that 2004 was mentioned. What we *don't* need is US/UK/NATO interference due to the "strategic" nature of Turkey, as it takes away some of the EU's bargaining power re. human rights.

Gnep
            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Most of Turkey's changes for the better have occured within the last 5 years, especially in regard to the Kurds....
              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Turkey is as thick as champ that it didnt 'join the club'. However most of the pressure for it to join cam from the US. It doesnt come close to qualification - and was rejected. Efty is right, but the whole economic business as well means that it doesnt have a hope of joining at the moment.

human rights - failed
                unresolved territorial disputes with member states- failed
                rampant inflation - failed
                piss-poor wages & employment conditions - failed
                High unemployment - failed
                next to no social services - failed

I cant remember all the criteria, but thats enough to start with. I am surprised that the EU even agreed to discuss it again in only 3 years..!!!

The EU is not a club for a few countries to lift themselves while the others get a cheap labourforce.

RedRed
                Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Working...
                X