Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Magic adaptor!

The magic adaptor is a wonderful thing!

The problem is that it only exist in the mind of the clueless....

For example:

One customer wanted to buy a "cable" so he could connect USB pheripherals to his serialports on his 486 that still used Windows 3.11

Another one wanted a IDE to USB adapter.
    He rejected the external USB boxes because "I only need a cable, i have a old PSU i can use to power the drive"

not to forget an old "magic adaptor" PS2->Serie or PS2<-Serie adapter that never actualy works
    the only chance to have one of those "work" is that the mouse has the nessesary circuitry and originaly had a adapter.

I have sold these countless of times over the years and the stock I have seems to last forever because only 1 out of 20 sales stay selled.
    The customer usualy comes back and say "it didn't work"
    I always answere "I told you so" and gives him back his 5$....

but the best example is the guy that had ripped something out of a MAC (atleast he thought that it was a mac) and wondered if we had an adaptor making it fit in a PCI slot.......
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Where I used to work they actually sold USB-IDE converters...
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Interesting
      Do you have more precise info ?
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

USB->IDE? you can make one yourself if you know how to use soldering iron.
        Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Originally posted by knirfie
          USB->IDE? you can make one yourself if you know how to use soldering iron.
          Now we are coming awfully close to the "magic adaptor" way of thinking

Yes, if I was really machokistic I could solder up a 25->9 pin serial adapter or a USB A->B or even a ATA3.5->ATA2.5....

BUT

A USB->ATA will require more than just simple soldering like chips resistors, capasitors and most important software drivers!

That I gladly leave to the experts and Buy finiched and packaged products where some one else has done the "hdd frying tests"

I once soldered up a VIC64tape-->printerport/gameport adapter....
          and that one despite being soldered exactly as printed still busted both the printer port and the game port....(it worked thought untill I rebooted)

Week after the revised blueprints was released

Comment

we use an USB to IDE adapter at work. USB2 adapter card, that has the IDE connector on it.
            We have a 48x Plextor IDE CD Burner on it, and it is very, very fast. These are tiny cards that fit in the rear of external SCSI bay boxes. 2x 5 1/4 bays, made for SCSI, used in USB2.
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

boxing day sale at comp-u-smart

1 magic adapter<> usb to 50pin scsi regular price $99.99, sale price $25.00. a must have ...............rightttt.

the junk we think we need.

cal

no i haven't got the external scsi cd working yet, probably right after ptwo comes out.
              another dawg basking in the sun

iwill xp333-r, xp2500@ 340ddr :need better ram

Comment

I soldered my own USB soundcard
                Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Magic adapters. The only magic adapter I have made was to connect my Atari 800XL to the PC to copy games on 5 1/4 to Images for a emulator. I'm sure you could make your own adapter, but the question remains, Why?
                  "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Working...
                  X