New Car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K6-III
    I would love to see the VW Lupo diesel over here...
    I agree.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I Believe Mercedes and Jeep are trying to introduce turbo diesel engines into the USA market. They are really worthy: They still do have more noise and vibration than a gasoline one, but with the newest turbo diesel engines (specially Mercedes 6 cylinders) you barely notice it. Besides that, turbo diesel engines have a LOT of torque since the lowest revs and are really nice to drive. The Audi 1.9 TDI has something like 310 Nm of torque, something a 3.5 V6 would have.

And of course, a diesel car consume roughly half than an equivalent gasoline. Add that to diesel being significantly cheaper and you´ll see why everybody loves diesel engines around here.

Despite some uninformed pseudo-ecologists protests, the diesel engine polutes less. It does a more complete combustion, releasing much less CO and NOx to the atmosfere. It had a problem with carbon particules, that was solved on most brand with a particle filter. Older diesel engine were indeed very poluent, but the latest generation turbodiesel engines are actually more environemental friendly.

Comment

Nice one Nuno!

I too think that many Americans would be surprised at the amount of diesel cars we drive here. My family has a small driving school, and currently all four of our smaller cars are turbo diesels. The fuel is cheap(er), although we do have the yearly diesel tax that makes diesel cars most suitable for those that drive a lot.

And I have to agree, diesel cars are not necessarily that awful to drive either. A BMW 320d accelerates from 0-100 km/h in less than 9 seconds, has lots of torque and rear wheel drive of course... Add that to the fact that ours is equipped with a special "all driving aids off" button, and one can really have some fun with it

Comment

Me thinks someones paid to much. Do you want to swap it??
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I drive a BMW 524TD '87 and it passed the eco-test without a hiccup... Many newer gasoline cars failed miserably... So much about polluting with diesel engines...

EDIT:
            OTH, many new diesels also failed miserably... Heh... I guess it's all about crappy engines some manufacturers put into their machines, and crappy owners that take no care of their cars whatsoever..
            Last edited by Goc; 28 January 2003, 02:42.

Comment

There have been Turbo Diesel cars in the USA for years and years. Very dependable and reliable... and no longer do they spew the clouds of black smoke they used to.

However, Diesel fuel itself has fallen by the wayside (in the states), except for large trucks.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Very nice, it does beat my little super-sub compact, inline 4 cylinder, manuel trasmission 12 year old Honda!

~Sethos
                "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

best car BMW make is a deisel in my opinion, 330d, it will outpull an M3 in 3rd gear from 40 to 70 mph.
                  is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                  Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Most of the gas stations in my area carry diesel fuel, but around here's it's actually a few cents more than gasoline (the cheap stuff at least).

Very nice car Nuno.

Speaking of BMW...they just added two new cars to their 2003 USA line up, the 540i and the 760Li. The 540i is the same size as the other 500 series, it just comes with more standard features and a 290 hp engine. The 760Li, from what I gather, is BMW's new high-luxury car (it starts at $116k USD). It sports a V-12 w/ 438 hp and comes pretty loaded.

mmmmm....BMW. I'd be happy with a 2-3 year-old 300 or 500 series...but even those are out of my price range

Jammrock
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

BMW have always been overpriced here, if you like the name then fine but when you can get a top of the line jag for tens of thousands less than a beemer then you have to question value for money, built well but overpriced and the styling is an aquired taste.
                      is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                      Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Jaguar ... made by Ford. No thanks

Plus, Jaguar's are just as expensive as BMW's in the USA.
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Re: New Car!

Originally posted by Nuno
                          Ok, finally I done it and ordered an Audi A4 Avant. I´ll only get it on a few weeks because of the extras, but it should look like preety much as this one:

Me happy
                          sweet ride, man!

Comment

Originally posted by borat
                            BMW have always been overpriced here, if you like the name then fine but when you can get a top of the line jag for tens of thousands less than a beemer then you have to question value for money, built well but overpriced and the styling is an aquired taste.
                            So, what you're saying is that if you buy a Jag, they "discount" it so you can afford the mechanic for the first year?
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Awesome car Nuno. I gotta get rid of my possed vehicle.
                              • the wipers and wiper fluid will work when they want to
                              • the sub-frame needs to be replaced cause it's bent
                              • my alignement so screwed up cause of the sub-frame
                              • my suspension is bottomed out
                              • there's missing a rubber engine bracket
                              • the hood is dented
                              • the top bumper cover is craked,
                              • the head lights need to be re-aligned and there is a small part missing for it to be properly aligned
                              • the pulley for the A/C compressor desperately needs some lubrification because it makes a grinding noise
                              Titanium is the new bling!
                              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Hehe, BMW's new 700 series is a command/entertainment centre of wheels... I saw one the other day. Too bad they sport a number of software bugs: Some videos...

Comment

Working...
                                X