fori.murc.ws: comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fori.murc.ws: comments

Ok, let's just start a new thread for the comments on the new forum-design.

First of, it looks *very very* cool

I just noticed one thing in the thread views: people's avatars are placed between the posts, in stead of to the rightleft of the post.
    Personally, I prefer the avatars in their old position (pages aren't that long => less scrolling)

Perhaps this is because it is new, but some buttons seem to require some getting used to (i.e. the 'report this post to a moderator' is now a triangle with an exclamation mark). But it looks great!

Also, the interface to type a post seems to have advanced quite a lot. What is missing (IMO) is the code for the smilies in the status bar: in the old forum you could just move your mouse over a smilie, look at the code, and type it anywhere. Now it just shows some cryptic url...

Jörg

edit: mixed up left and right...
    Last edited by VJ; 2 March 2005, 06:09.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I haven't got that far into the templates yet regarding avatars

nor have I got as far as dealing with the smilies etc.

right now, I am concentrating on getting the front end operational.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

looks good!
      I like it
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

it is very very broken, but to give you an idea of new main page...

Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I actually like the "flat" look of the top navigation of the new main page much better than the "shiny" blue headings for all the content boxes. It looksnicer and more relaxed to me, and is also more concise and provides better usability than the curvy shiny headings. And yes, user info to the left would be nice. Other than that, it's looking good (though there was nothing wrong optically with the old layout but yes, I know you can't migrate it 1:1, so it's fine if we get a little layout refresh along with the new logo and software).

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I hope you're not planning on including ActiveX/plug-in content on the final version. I already avoid Guru's posts becuase of that crap. I'd rather my boycott doesn't extend to the whole site.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

umm which ActiveX/plug-in content do you see now on the test forum?

apart from tweaking css and some html, there won't be anything different to what we have now.

Of course vb3 does make use of DHTML, which some of our Opera users might find they miss out on some things.
              Juu nin to iro

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
                umm which ActiveX/plug-in content do you see now on the test forum? ...
                I don't know what's tickling it and I don't care to look through the code but the http://main.murc.ws/ page is prompting me where I don't get that elsewhere on MURC (except fo Guru's posts ).
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

what exactly is it prompting you for?
                  what does it want you to install?
                  which browser are you using?
                  Juu nin to iro

Comment

what exactly is it prompting you for? ...
                    "Do you want to allow software such as ActiveX controls and plug-ins to run?"
                    ...which browser are you using?
                    IE 6.0.2800.1106 .

Java script applets and ActiveX/plug-ins set to prompt. No Java VM.
                    Last edited by xortam; 2 March 2005, 19:40.

Comment

The only thing I can find on that page, that is IE specific, has to do with a work around for IE's faulty PNG support.

I need more information if you can supply it.

edit:
                      PHP Code:
                      <!--
                      function 
                      log_out()
                      {

ht document.getElementsByTagName("html");

ht[0].style.filter "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(grayscale=1)";
                          if (
                      confirm('Are you sure you want to log out?'))
                          {
                              return 
                      true;
                          }
                          else
                          {

ht[0].style.filter "";
                              return 
                      false;
                          }
                      }
                      //--> 
                      Juu nin to iro

Comment

... I need more information if you can supply it. ...
                        Specifically? I don't have much time at the moment.

Comment

I'll check back with you later ...

Comment

I'm at work as well

If its only the front end that does it, it's 1) probably not critical code, 2) it should be easy enough to find

If you can try replying to a thread in site feedback on the test fori, see if your browser spits there - we have a nice wysiwyg editor now, but your browser settings might complain.
                            Juu nin to iro

Comment

I'll work with you some more tomorrow (or is that later today now ) on this issue.
                              Last edited by xortam; 5 March 2005, 16:20.

Comment

Working...
                              X