No announcement yet.

Another thing about Matrox at e3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something that occured to me the other night.

When you turn your computer on, the first thing that is initialised is the video card, therefore if you wanted to do a virus check without the possibility of a BIOS virus , or a MBR virus, the best place to do it from is pre POST. IE have a virus checker on your Video card.

Not gaming related, but it could appeal to business users (although I dont turn our computers off much).

I think the problem of putting too much data like phisics onto the video card is the lack of bandwidth of todays AGP implimentation. AGP 8X might fix that though.

Whats something that doesnt need lots of raw data fed over the AGP, but needs lots of calculation done to it, then its output is relatively small?

SETI anybody?

How about hardware monitoring. Hve a few temp and voltage sensors on the video card, then some sort of output on the case, or an audible alarm if pre sets are reached. You could put a thermal-couple on each hard drive, your mobo chipset, your CPU, P/S and of course the video card. This would be more usefull to business users. I dont like having too many apps open on the systray, so being able to get that info through powerdesk would be cool.

I think modems, NICs, sound, etc would suck up too much AGP bandwidth to make it worthwile, but I might be wrong.

Any other ideas?

Ali

Comment

I'm hoping for some sort of optional virtual reality genital mitt. I'll settle for RSN though

------------------
      Andrew
      Carpe Cerevisi
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

It seems like you might make some use out of the spare graphics RAM if you have a 32 or 64 MB graphics card just sitting there doing 2D work. The unused RAM wouldn't provide much space relative to today's main memory but it would be of some use.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Federation Standard HoloDeck Connector

Transparent Walls

"NVIDIA EAT SH|T" written on the PCB

A built-in cage for 2 Condors

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
          X