No announcement yet.

count down to possible G550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know for a certain reason that Nappe1 is not completely wrong there.

But back to the topic: It`s less than one week now and I`m really looking forward to next Tuesday! I hope that I will not be disappointed ...

MK

------------------
    Celeron II 860 MHz on EPoX BX7+100, Intel i440BX
    Golden Orb @ 7V + 2x Papst Low Noise Cooler
    256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
    G400 16MB @ PD 6.10 + TGL (soon to be replaced
    Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
    IBM DTLA 20GB on HPT U-ATA100 RAID
    Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
    Plustek Optic Pro U12B
    HP Deskjet 959C
    <font size="1">
    Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
    ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
    Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
    2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
    Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
    ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
    Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
    Plustek Optic Pro U12B
    HP Deskjet 959C
    Plantronics LS1 Headset
    all on W2k Professional SP2
    </font>

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by SteveC:
      Calling all the old timers here from the MURC - what was the name of that person who posted every day leading up to the release of the G400 (or was it the G200?)? Quite a funny thread if I remember right...

</font>
      Don't mind me - I'm ignoring the rest of the thread...

Anyway, answering my own question, wasn't it a 'neo' ?

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by MK:

I know for a certain reason that Nappe1 is not completely wrong there.

But back to the topic: It`s less than one week now and I`m really looking forward to next Tuesday! I hope that I will not be disappointed ...

MK

</font>
        MK, thanks for backing me up.
        anyway, as an happy ex-G400 and ex-G200 card owner I am waiting with great anticipation june 19th. I am not happy with Ati's way make drivers... Radeon has got a huge leap from my previous ATI chip (brand new Rage II back then.) what comes to the drivers, but still other drivers works in the vivo and another ones with games, so it is changing them all the time.

and P.S. I would not be suprised at all, if that rumoured G800/G1000 would have some BB's tech inside. Or maybe even the whole chip. (made in co-operation.)

you never know...
        "Dippadai"

Comment

...and what was the name of that person that started the countdown to the OGL ICD way back in the G200 days? It was interesting to see things progress for the ICD. I actually remember posting about how I would buy another card if they didn't come out with the ICD, lol! I never did buy another card and stayed around for the G400 as well

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

*** SIX ! ***

MK

<font size="1">
            Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
            ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
            Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
            2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
            Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
            ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
            Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
            Plustek Optic Pro U12B
            HP Deskjet 959C
            Plantronics LS1 Headset
            all on W2k Professional SP2
            </font>

Comment

Only six days left!!!!

I wonder why Matrox is choosing tuesday 19. june 2001 for a release day....?

I still hope the best, but prepare for the worst!!

------------------
              - [GDI]Raptor

Comment

Nappe,
                If you are that close to BBO, then you MUST know that they haven't even reached Tape Out yet; Generally, after a chip design has reached Tape Out, it takes 6 to 8 months and 2 to 5 chip revisions/stepping to make it customer-ready... This is especially true for high density CMOSes.

------------------
                What was necessary was done yesterday;
                We're currently working on the impossible;
                For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
                - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
                - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
                - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
                - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
                - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
                (Server)
                - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
                - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
                - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
                - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

About Creative not making any G3 boards: didn't you know that they left the graphics cards business... cause they got burned too much by the G2 GTSes and Ultras: almost no OEM contracts... But they publicly announced that they will manufacture Kyro and Kyro II-based cards in the near future (voodooextreme).

I strongly believe that the best chipset coming out in Q2-Q4 will be the Kyro 3 and the Radeon 2.

------------------

(Workstation)
                  (Server)
                  - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB

Comment

frankymail;
                    what you say about Creative is not true they are making nvidia products again, everything, from the GF2 series to the GF3. and they are not making any Kyro cards either.

------------------
                    Slow people are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that are hard.
                    no harm, no foul.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by drzaius:
                      frankymail;
                      what you say about Creative is not true they are making nvidia products again, everything, from the GF2 series to the GF3. and they are not making any Kyro cards either.
                      </font>
                      HAHA! wrong again. Creative hasn't announced that they would build Kyro nor Kyro 2 based boards. (that was a rumor after Creative announced that they will not manufacture GF3 based boards.) And what comes to their GF3, it is something like SB16 Vibra was. Creative GF3 is MSI815 with Creative logos. Even the Creative's websites does not know whole product.

Creative has just announced that They will be continuing deliver gaming graphics solutions, but no official announcements their products has been made. Creative has some potential manufacture for BB cards, there is no doubt about it. (it is actually very strange that their GF3 is made by MSI. what they will do in their own factories when GF2GTS and GF2Ultra does not sell anymore? Maybe cards based on ATI's chips because ATI announced that they will start selling chips to 3rd party manufacturers too.)

who lives, will see.
                      "Dippadai"

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by frankymail:
                        Nappe,
                        If you are that close to BBO, then you MUST know that they haven't even reached Tape Out yet; Generally, after a chip design has reached Tape Out, it takes 6 to 8 months and 2 to 5 chip revisions/stepping to make it customer-ready... This is especially true for high density CMOSes.
                        </font>
                        actually, I am not sure... Last time when I contacted Dave Barron (hopefully I spelled name right. ) He said that maybe I should horry up contacting Mika Tuomi... (it felt like there is not much time before Driver beta testing is about to start.

Officially, I don't know anything else except that everyone else knows if has been following HW websites. Glaze3D was actually "canned" much more earlier than BB's announced it. it was canned sometime between january - march, 2000. and why I am saying "canned"?? because if look the infos in the bitboys website, you can see that some very important (very time comsuming) things in the eDRAM chip design, is possibly taken from Glaze3D and put in this new project: Memory Manager, eDRAM -layout maybe 2D and other basic graphics functions, etc.

so I think that it is not at all optimistic to say that BB's could have first beta chips / boards out. (or almost..)

latest release information is that 2nd half of 2001.

"Dippadai"

Comment

and Franky, you should check Bitboys website again... they have something new since Glaze. At First, internal bus is now 1024 bits wide (pictures are out of date. officially confirmed by Mika Tuomi.) and there is 12 Megs of eDRAM in single chip version. (makes pretty good mem. bandwidth; about 22Gb/s (GF3 has <7.2Gb/s))

so if they have made fast enough core, we will see pretty impressive fillrate even in the single chip. (some ppl are saying that they have preserved that up to 4 chip architechture from Glaze. just imagine that 88Gb/s mem. bandwidth. )

also Shane Long has said in some interview that first samples should be out Q2/2001, so...

anyway time shows if these are true.
                          "Dippadai"

Comment

Five days left

Still hoping for the best :-)

------------------
                            - [GDI]Raptor

Comment

Yep, your right: a chip with embedded ram will be very fast... in 3d scenes with FEW textures, even with texture compression; Sure, it can transfert transfert data from the EDRAM to the core very fast, but as soon as the data needed is not cached, is still has to get to the on-board ram or even worst, the system ram... So, If the chip only had 12 MB of embedded memory and no on-board memory,it would still have a 22 GB/S peak transfert rate, but at (64/12)*7.2, the GeForce 3 would still be faster. Of course, a chip with embedded ram and very fast external onboard memory would offer quite a performance increase over say a GeForce 3, but that increase would not be three-fold...

(Workstation)
                              (Server)
                              - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB

Comment

Yep, your right: a chip with embedded ram will be very fast... in 3d scenes with FEW textures, even with texture compression; Sure, it can transfert transfert data from the EDRAM to the core very fast, but as soon as the data needed is not cached, is still has to get to the on-board ram or even worst, the system ram... So, If the chip only had 12 MB of embedded memory and no on-board memory,it would still have a 22 GB/S peak transfert rate, but at (64/12)*7.2, the GeForce 3 would still be faster. Of course, a chip with embedded ram and very fast external onboard memory would offer quite a performance increase over say a GeForce 3, but that increase would not be three-fold...

------------------

(Workstation)
                                (Server)
                                - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB

Comment

Working...
                                X