No announcement yet.

Headcasting's cool!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Greebe:
    Ami, that's because US companies don't realise the demand for this overseas, where bandwidth is grossly limited in most places.

It may sound silly and dumb now, but does have it's place in the world.
    </font>
    Oh, so true ...

Thanx Greeb
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Does this Headcasting need to be displayed on the whole screen or can it be of variable size? Can you display multiple heads at once? Maybe all in one instance?

This might be the "killer application" for IRC friends. Virtual chatrooms with floating heads all around and babbling...

BTW, does the card come with a microphone in? I know most modern boards have onboard sound but i wonder what good this feature is without sound. I am still not convinced but i start to see markets for this kind of gadget. But only in the entertainment area.

Comment

It's been a loooonnngg time since I last saw a new PC without a sound card either on board or added.
        I see what you mean about the microphone though - they should include one in the box.

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Jorden, I don't think headcasting takes any video input.
          It should, because then it would be lots cooler. If it did that, your virtual head would do what your real head did(wink, turn and look at stuff, yadda yadda)

IF it did that, It would need some sort of cool hardware(or software) that interpreted your image from the webcame into virtual head movements. This would be incredably cool because you could tie this into games so you could have some sort of parallax effect. It would make your monitor look like a window(i.e. you could move your head to the side and peek around the edge of the screen!) John Carmack was talking about using webcams for something like this at a confrence once, but I havn't heard anything about it recently.

Anyway, from what I've read, the headcasting stuff uses some software, called headFone, to interpret your mouth movements from a mic. There must be some way to control your head, maybe with the mouse or keystrokes, because it would look really stupid if it just had a moving mouth.

The thing that freaks me out is that it has no body. Why couldn't they have put in some stock suits or dresses that you could chose from? Tthat would make it seem more mormal.

Comment

Buback, you're right ofcourse, and I must say that what Matrox does now sounds a bit like Intel did for their P3 CPU's, with the enhanced internet experience and 3D worlds, while this is for "(h)email" only

I did understand that you'd still needed your webcam, as the GoIP sends the vertex graphics to the other person. Which could mean that you can't ever change the position of your webcam, or be talking out of your ear

And if the software does it with sound-only, I forsee problems. What about other languages? Probably be waiting for ages for a Dutch version, and would that Dutch version work with an English hemailer?

Just think of having Mike on your screen... brrrrr

Jord.

Edit: Ah yes, before you start Mike, my image let's mirrors crack already, so a 3D version would blow out every possible monitor

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 22 June 2001).]
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Jorden:
              And if the software does it with sound-only, I forsee problems.</font>
              Yep - it's going to move the headcast based upon your voice. (Maybe text-to-speech would work too).

------------------
              Cheers,
              Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

I would imagine it would combine basic keyboard inputs. Like being able to use the cursor keys to animate the face a little, along with lipsyncing with voice input.
                On the subject of headcasting as well, I saw a Java based 3D face on a web page once which you could animate with voice input. Obviously the graphics wheren't great, but I remember it was a pretty cool technology at the time, I'll try and find a link....
                Will Ant be able to incorpate Headcasting into the forums??? Now that would be useful .

Comment

Guys guys - Limited bandwidth maybe, but still no _purpose_ ... Where has there been a situation in the world where someone has said, "I don't have enough bandwidth, but i NEED to see an animated head of this person!"

I don't know. Maybe for kids. Maybe for kids in schools, or something... But I just don't see it as a really... useful feature, and I certainly don't think it should have been the focus of their marketing campaign.. which it is.
                  Ami Y. Koriuchi - MY EMAIL IS DEAD

SYSTEM1
                  Asus K7V266 - Athlon XP 1800+ - GeForce 4 TI 4600 128MB -
                  1024 MB PC2100 DDR -
                  200 GB UDMA100 7200 RPM - 60GB LVD 160 10K RPM

SYSTEM2
                  Asus A7V133 - Athlon 1.4 - G400Max
                  768MB PC133 - 75 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

HI SOMETiMES I GO AWAY FOR LONG TIME AND COME BACK YEARS LATER HI!

Comment

Fizzy,

I think there are more implications to this technology than what Matrox's oh so wonderful PR are trying to tout this as.

Rags

Comment

Did anyone read my post in the matrox hardware forum about my idea of what the Headcasting might be targeting?

If not I think it might be a good idea... let me see if I can find the link.

http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/010803.html

Edit... Added Link

[This message has been edited by cbman (edited 23 June 2001).]
                      AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                      AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                      Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                      Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Hey Fizzy,

You really should check out the links in the previous post and go to applications if you still feel there is no pratical uses for headcasting.

Joel
                        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

This ahs almost definitely been on the forums before, but I'll post it anyway. You get get a demo of the digimask headcasting thing from Digimask.

Online Demo

[This message has been edited by bacon (edited 23 June 2001).]

Comment

Where can I get the software for headcasting.?

Comment

look jorden is alive.
                              no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Originally posted by thop
                                look jorden is alive.
                                I think you need to look at the date of the posts
                                When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
                                X