No announcement yet.

I've given up, this is my new rig ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to see you do 1280x960 32bit or above with CinePlayer on your primary Leo.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hey Indiana,

Nice info on that registry tweak. Thanx!

Leo: Theater mode does that on the ATI card.

Greets,
      Jorg
      _ _ ______________ _ _
      I am the Jorg, resistance is futile.
      © StarTrek: First Contact

Comment

Well in 1280*960 video worked great on the g400max. Haven't tried cineplayer...

Theater mode may do that but it only exist on the 6018 drivers and it didn't work very well.
        AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
        Asus A8N-E
        Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
        Asus Extreme GeForce N7800GT
        Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB
        Lian-Li PC60
        Windows XP Pro 64bit

Comment

Look above, it's there not "only in the 6018" but at least SINCE the 6018 drivers (maybe these were only the first drivers to not have this setting hidden and it existed even before), it's just hidden in the newer drivers. Do the reg-setting and you'll get your theater mode in the newest drivers.

It works great here, I've just tested it with my primary set to 1600x1200@85Hz and the secondary (a 15"TFT) to 1024x768@75Hz and the overlay was zoomed correctly to the 1024x768 display (not oversized & autoscrolling1600x1200) while the primary happily continued to display 1600x1200@85Hz at the same time.

The only flaw is with DivX that have the black top&bottom borders cut off, they are stretched to the screens 4:3 not respecting the aspect ratio that's in the avi. Yes, this is annoying and I really hope they fix it soon (well maybe "I hope they fix it AT ALL" is more appropriate, we're talking of ATI here... )
          Last edited by Indiana; 8 February 2002, 11:23.
          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
          My System
          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
          German ATI-forum

Comment

Woel,

Please read preceding posts carefully before posting a new message. In those preceding messages you'll find that Indiana told us that you can re-enable the theater mode in any of the drivers through a registry setting and that it works quite well indeed, except for some 16:9 divx scaling issues.

Your previous post was also already answered in the preceding posts, so it looks to me you're not really paying attention man...

Just some friendly hints, no harm intended

Greets,
            Jorg

Edit: Indiana beat me to it
            Last edited by Flip-Oh; 8 February 2002, 11:19.
            _ _ ______________ _ _
            I am the Jorg, resistance is futile.
            © StarTrek: First Contact

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
              And to point number 2: You will get a virtual oversized&scrolling desktop, of course. How should it be done otherwise??? The TVOut only supports resolutions up to 1024x768 (and show me one card that does higher TVOut res), how would you manage to fit a 1600x1200 screen on that? You could simply limit the resolution to 1024x768 (which is how most other cards are doing it), and this is much worse. With the ATI you can still keep 1600x1200 on your primary with TV-Clone turned on. The Theater mode will give you a fullscreen nonscrolling display in this mode as well, so no worry here.
              well my G400 can output my desktop to tv at 1600x1200. If you will then reply to this with 'but PAL has much less definition than 1600x1200 so they'll throw away image information', then my response is: the same happens at 1024x768, so there's no difference in that aspect.

Anyway, the whole idea about DVD-MAX is that you're not going to be limited on your primary desktop while outputting overlay to the secondary output (though you are somewhat, and on Gx50 cards the restriction worse than on G400 cards it seems).

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus

well my G400 can output my desktop to tv at 1600x1200. If you will then reply to this with 'but PAL has much less definition than 1600x1200 so they'll throw away image information', then my response is: the same happens at 1024x768, so there's no difference in that aspect.
                Must be a feature introduced in newer drivers, then. By the time I had my G400 installed, 1024x768 was the max resolution for the TVOut (anything higher doesn't really make sense, even the 1024x768 are much worse considering readability than 800x600).
                The main point is that you need to be able to run the TV and the CRT/TFT at different resolutions and refresh-rates - and you can perfectly do that with the Radeon.

Anyway, the whole idea about DVD-MAX is that you're not going to be limited on your primary desktop while outputting overlay to the secondary output (though you are somewhat, and on Gx50 cards the restriction worse than on G400 cards it seems).
                Yes, this works fine as well. No problem having the overlay playing in a small window on your 1600x1200@85Hz CRT while having it zoomed fullscreen to the TV at 1024x768@50Hz (or to e.g. a 1024x768@70Hz TFT/second CRT). I've not tried higher resolutions, but I think the 64MB should give some room, here.
                Last edited by Indiana; 9 February 2002, 07:31.
                My System
                German ATI-forum

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
                  ... No problem having the overlay playing in a small window on your 1600x1200@85Hz CRT while having it zoomed fullscreen to the TV at 1024x768@50Hz (or to e.g. a 1024x768@70Hz TFT/second CRT). ...
                  Is this true of both the 8500s and the 7500s? On which OSes ... Win98 and W2K?
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I don't know about the 7500 (I don't have one to test), but I think it should work with both.
                    As for OS-support AFAIK the theater button is in all the drivers for Win98/ME, Win2k and WinXP. Again I could only test it with Win2k.
                    Last edited by Indiana; 9 February 2002, 13:54.
                    My System
                    German ATI-forum

Comment

Working...
                    X