Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parhelia's gonna be lame (not MY opinion, but Tom's)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia's gonna be lame (not MY opinion, but Tom's)

Man, I'm really pissed of by Tom's (p)review of the Parhelia 512 chip; he'S like "well, it would looks nice for sure, if Matrox could build it and make drivers that will be able to make use of at least 1/3 of the features... blah blah blah... so don't expect much from Parhelia" To my knowledge, Matrox' last performance part, the G400, was the most powerful thing of it's time, and it had the most functionnalities, stable and fast drivers. What can possibly make him think that Matrox' pruduct won't live up to its claims? Well, he might as well be shouting "If I tell you that Parhelia will be great, you won't buy a GeForce 4/NV30 and I won't get a nice "Christmas" bonus from nVIDIA, so here's MY take on Parhelia: definitively not worth it; now go buy a GeForce 4 Ti 4600 / Quadro 900XGL and a Personal Cinema Add-On!" WTH, he was more enthusiastic about 3DLabs VP10 last week, even if we know that the 3DLabs card will be aimed at the CAD/3DSMAX/etc... and that the drivers will be tweaked to boost CAD performance at the cost of 3D games design (which is not a bad thing, but Parhelia isn't only aimed at that particular market.)
    Last edited by frankymail; 7 January 2007, 20:31.
    What was necessary was done yesterday;
    We're currently working on the impossible;
    For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
    - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
    - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
    - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
    - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
    - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
    (Server)
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
    - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
    - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
    - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Franky
    You have to excuse Tom, his anally retentive site isnt quite the bastion of impartiality it is made out to be.

Regards MD
    [edit]
    I read your sig and I think we should both get a life [/edit]
    Last edited by mdhome; 14 May 2002, 12:44.
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

hmmmm some odd stuff said in that preview, 3D gamers lost respect because of the G450 and G550 well the gamers who bought those for games are abit odd coz those aren't even gaming cards. Just because he didn't get an actual card he is moan and hinting that the drivers are crap err yeah whatever, the card is released at the end of june so he'll get the card probably early to mid June more that enough time to review and plenty of time before the release date

Comment

Tom hasn't been respectable in years. It's a shame so many people still listen to him as if he knows what he's talking about.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
          Tom hasn't been respectable in years. It's a shame so many people still listen to him as if he knows what he's talking about.
          lol true true, you see the bashing he gets at some forums after he releases a CPU review lol usually quite funny

Comment

I know that, and hasn't for a long, long time, but it just hurts more when you're a Matrox user like I am... Hearing this is like a NASA scientist being told that there is no future in space travel and exploration... But Anyway, I've just bought two additionnal Sony G400 monitors, so that I'll be ready for TripleHead and Surround Gaming...

(Workstation)
            (Server)
            - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB

Comment

Franky
              You also have to bear in mind that irrespective of its placings in the FPS pecking order, the Parhelia is a superb chip.

Regards MD
              Interests include:
              Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

First of all, it wasn't Tom who wrote it - it was Lars Weinand on behalf of Toms Hardware.

It was a pretty nice overview, better, IMO, than Anand's. Just don't let the pessimistic conclusion get to you.
                ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

Isn't the conclusion the overall opinion of something? Also, Tom's the editor, so he has to review things he publishes. Either he doesn't do his job, or he agrees with the (p)reviewer's opinion

Last edited by frankymail; 14 May 2002, 13:04.

(Workstation)
                  (Server)
                  - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB

Comment

....With their bold concept of targeting 2D professionals as well as gaming enthusiasts with the same product, Matrox is clearly going for a niche market....

Wow
                    chuck
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Tom's another one of those that is pissed off because he hasn't gotten a card yet. Once he gets one, if he gets one, he will change his tune. He a whore to whoever gives him free stuff and nVidia is supplying him that at this time.

Joel
                      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Tom's hardware stopped being good when Tom stopped writing articles. Tom used to write really great articles and post awesome tech tips. His site's respect has really gone downhill lately.

And honestly, who else makes a good, stable driver in teh gaming industry? Certainly not nVidia with the patch of the month concept. Certainly not ATi with their buggy as hell drivers. Matrox drivers haven't been perfect either, but certainly they are just as good or better than anyone elses offerings.

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Haig if you're reading this. See if you can delay Tom's card until after all the pre-orders have been sent out.

The people that want the cards, should get the cards.
                          I should have bought an ATI.

Comment

I gotta agree with Jammrock, even though nvidia has a rep of being a company with uber drivers, even though they are good drivers i believe there is a major bug in one of them when using a Geforce4 and Unreal Tournament. Ive never had a major problem with my G400 max

Comment

to put the review into a bigger context: Lars Weinand is the owner and chief editor of rivastation.com/rivastation.de

guess what cards they prefer over there
                              no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Working...
                              X