The Boeing Starliner situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boeing Starliner situation

This is about the spacecraft malfunctioning at the International Space Station.

Clearly this is turned into a soap opera, and somewhat of a referendum on the Boeing company because of their mishandling of this development program.

The issues are complex so I thought I would post this video by NASASpaceFlight.com, an excellent source of space news where space professionals hang out . They have done an excellent job of simplifying and explaining the issues and problems, so partake if you are curious because there is a lot of nonsense in the news.

They were not stranded, they had plenty of food water etc on the station

There was a danger in coming down in Starliner, the vehicles control thrusters were acting completely crazy and in ways that have not been seen before. Coming down in a vehicle so afflicted could have resulted in a loss of the crew.

The astronauts are fine, NASA has elected to send Starliner back to Earth without the crew to meet its fate, and the crew will stay on the station until February or March when they will go home in a SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft which has proven exceedingly reliable.

If you have any questions not addressed go for it.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 August 2024, 15:48.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Boeing Starliner will undock from the ISS September 6th under automation, time will be about 1800 Eastern.

There is still some risk that the thrusters could go wonky again, causing a recontact with the station, so they will have the Crew 8 Dragon and Soyuz prepared for lifeboat duty.

We shall see if it makes it down to earth in one piece, or as a smoking pile.
    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The Boeing Starliner will separate from ISS evening of September 6th.

Landing: September 7th
      Time: 0003 Eastern
      Press conference: 0130 Eastern

+++++++++

"rescue mission" Crew 9's crew will be,

Commander: Nick Hague, NASA, USA

Pilot: Aleksandr Gorbunov

Butch and Suni will join the Crew 9 mission, coming down in February.

NASA has cut two astronauts from the next crew to make room on the return trip for the two stuck at the International Space Station.

​,
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 August 2024, 13:40.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
      X