Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, this is a BIG topic. I must have missed a lot during the past couple months, because when I look around I see some not-so-good things going on.

I see people who I like and respect treating other people (who I also like and respect) badly. I see people leaving after years on the fori. And I see a lot of flaming.

Let me address some things (warning, this WILL be long):

Flaming Minis/Idiots:

I think the problem is that of late a LOT of people have been coming in and attempting to use whatever means necessary to convince everyone here that it is astonishingly stupid to still use a Matrox card. WAKE UP, PEOPLE! This is a MATROX FORUM. You can be an nVidiot all you want (and I don't care WHO thinks that's a derogatory term - here's a hint... IT IS!), but we choose not to, thank you very much. We don't care about 300+fps, or gigaquadfloobert rendering. We want a nice pretty picture.

Now, on the other hand, I think that (at least in part due to the slowdown) we have been a bit too quick to anger over this. We need to just let it slide, or close the thread, or something.

Moderators:

If you close a thread because you dislike the content, fine. Say "this is out of hand, I'm closing it". If, however, you DELETE a thread because you dislike the content, SHAME SHAME SHAME. In addition, you (as a moderator) should show extreme restraint towards those you disagree with. Don't think you can? Don't be a moderator. Simple, isn't it?

"Secrets":

Look, people. I know some of you STILL aren't getting this. Let me spell it out for you. SOME OF US (not necessarily me, err... nevermind) know stuff. We're not just saying "hey wait a bit *wink*wink*nudge*nudge*" for fun, or to rile you up. However, we can't say what we know, or even for sure that we know it. Otherwise we get our balls handed to us by Matrox.

Now, I realize that the BB's have, over the past year or so, said "wait a bit - there are things coming down the pipeline that you will LOVE". Obviously they weren't talking about the G550. However, what they WERE talking about got derailed by nShitia stealing a bunch of Matrox engineers.

So be patient. If you can't be patient, get a Kyro2 (my recommendation) or a Radeon or something. You want MY advice? Buy something cheap (hence my Kyro2 recommendation) and save up for the next great Matrox card (which obviously I can't tell you about, even if I _do_ know what it is, which I may or may not).

ARE YOU FOLLOWING THIS?

Personal Enmities:

Jorden riles up Rags. Rags riles up Jorden.

This is an example, but why is it? Because people post without thinking. Jord, you're a good friend. I like you a lot. But sometimes you post things, speaking purely from a dutch perspective, with little or no thought put into how people from the USA might think of it.

And this goes for many Europeans.

Now the converse is also true. Some of us Americans post things that are quite inflammatory to the Europeans.

What we need to do is THINK before we post.

And try not to get upset about stuff.

A note to Europeans in particular... we value a lot of things over here that you don't care about. Please don't make light of it. You want to know a sure fire way to start a fight with an American? Say something that threatens his or her personal liberties. Simple, isn't it? Just don't do it.

Guru:

Guru catches a lot of flak for posting inane shit. Maybe we could all be nicer. Or, maybe he could stop posting so much inane shit. Or maybe a little of both, hmm?

--------------------------------

Ok, I've run out of things to say. All I know is it's gotten downright unfriendly here. And it makes me sad.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Holly,

You missed my point entirely. Don't look for hidden meanings. Here, let's address them.

Why? Why should I or anyone "need to grow a thicker skin" to spend time with some people on a forum on the Internet? If you don't have to change, since "you are what you are", why should I?
      We all have to change. But the problem is that any time there is one thing that is slightly offensive to someone, we have a big huff about it. It's always the same group of people who are complaining. The way I see it, if the same group of people are always the ones complaining, and I don't really see a whole lot of reason to complain, it's time to grow thicker skin.
      Oh, and BTW-In case you haven't noticed, I have mellowed out a LOT from what I used to be like. It's called growing up and realizing there is no sense in letting idiots get you riled up. I was just offering the same suggestion to you and others. Don't let someone on your favorite forum ruin your time. Grow thicker skin, let it pass, and move on.

What, then, is the purpose of a moderator, in your opinion? Clearly not to help the members have a pleasant experience on these forums, so that they want to come back, it would seem...
      Well, I have seen Kruzin, and Mike both be very helpful and polite to people. In fact, someone just made an "I love Kruzin" type thread. I guess you missed that one. I too visit many forums and also moderate at one myself, and the same problem exists on any forum. Many people feel like a moderator should use an alias to post generally, but I feel like if you can stand behind what you say, the moderator tag has no meaning in a discussion. It's only the fragile hearts that have the problem.

And your point would be....? Human beings should be allowed to bash other human beings because they can't help it, in their imperfection? Human beings aren't perfect, so they shouldn't even try? Being respectful of others would make us all drones, so we should definitely not do so?
      No my point is that we ALL are different. We should be more tolerant of one another. Whether or not we like their personality should not come into it. We should be looking for information, not emotion. This is a problem you have with the other mods.

You know, more and more it seems like the same group of people with fragile feelings always stirs the pot. I think when it's the same people who stir it up, then it's time for them to look inward rather than point fingers and blame. But, hey that would be grown up and responsible thing to do....but what do I know.

I love the MURC and still think it's the best forum on the internet. I believe we as a community can move past the doldrums we are in. We just need to have something else to talk about.....MATROX ARE YOU LISTENING????

Rags

Comment

A 16+ old person should re-read his posts about 20 times - old Chinese proverb

Hiya in here,

Thanks for the kind words, Gurm, but I have to remind you that this isn't an American forum!!
        It's Ant's forums, and as long as Ant is English, it will be an European forum. MURC might've been started by Joel, but it's not his anymore. He who pays the gold, makes the rules!!

Ok, last time most people saw me I had moderator under my name. But after a fight between Greebe and me in GH/S, I told Ant I turned in my mod'ship, as I found I was swearing at Greebe in a way a mod shouldn't be doing. That Greebe was doing the same to me and worse is something he has to live with. That Greebe thinks he can still do it at any point in the forums, is something that he should know he shouldn't do. If you really have the knowledge and you want to help people with it, do it in a way that won't shed tears, or don't be a moderator.

As far as I know, the MURC is NOT a forum where we help you with everything Matrox. If you really are stuck, go to htpp://forums.matrox.com and ask there. We give you alternative solutions, or I was led to believe that the past couple of years. We are also a family forum, so any swearing in a post should be edited out by a moderator.

Now if someone like Rags is allowed to tell LAMFDTK that he should do funny things with a red poker somewhere, and then even edits his post to make it worse, calling LAMF a LAMFKKR, then I would expect a moderator to enter Rags his post and edit it, or delete it. And tell Rags about that! And slap his fingers, breaking at least one hand so in the future he won't do something like that again.

But ofcourse BBs are BBs are friends are friends, so we won't edit such a post. My opinion would then be that everyone is allowed to post things like that!

Rags, you told LAMF above that he's only coming in to abuse threads? I saw you giving similar answers to Kaj and Casper99. And probably some others as well. What? You don't like any minis or MURCers here? You don't want anyone else to enter the forums? You want them to lurk their way to Super-MURCer before you think they have something to say?
        Your use of emoticons btw is severely lacking. Reread all of your posts from the past week and show me where you used any!!
        Must've been typos...
        <hr>Don't try to post a funny answer in GH/S when your name is anything else but Greebe. It's his forum, so he's the only one allowed to post funny things there. If your name happens to be Guru, you'll have auto-delete behind about all of your posts there. Oh boy
        <hr>I was one of the regulars that emailed Ant. Here, I said it. Thankfully you showed respect this time and didn't edit your posts (yet) guys, or deleted the whole thread. I never thanked Greebe for doing so in GH/S. With all the evidence so conveniently gone, nothing had happened, right?

If the moderators don't get their thing together, I forsee that the MURC will go belly up within a month. Moderators, you work for MURC, you are there to enforce the rules of MURC, which means that you are not allowed either to break them. Is that so hard to understand?

Give someone else a chance to moderate, and go on being yourselves, or change your mod-face and be a bit more MURCy.

Jord.
        Last edited by Jorden; 19 August 2001, 10:38.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Now if someone like Rags is allowed to tell LAMFDTK that he should do funny things with a red poker somewhere, and then even edits his post to make it worse, calling LAMF a LAMFKKR, then I would expect a moderator to enter Rags his post and edit it, or delete it. And tell Rags about that! And slap his fingers, breaking at least one hand so in the future he won't do something like that again.
          I guess you missed the emotiocon in that post. You obviously didn't get it.

But ofcourse BBsare BBs are friends are friends, so we won't edit such a post. My opinion would then be that everyone is allowed to post things like that!
          Nope. I bet I have had more of my posts deleted/closed than any other member. I just don't go around bitching when it happens.

Rags, you told LAMF above that he's only coming in to abuse threads? I saw you giving similar answers to Kaj and Casper99. And probably some others as well. What? You don't like any minis or MURCers here? You don't want anyone else to enter the forums?
          LAM and Kaj both say nothing really helpful at all. They only tend to pop in to stir the pot. Much like you.
          AFA Casper...I have not said such a thing that I know of.

Your use of emoticons btw is severely lacking. Reread all of your posts from the past week and show me where you used any!!
          GO to the eye doctor immediately. Read my post to LAM and see the emotiocon. Read my original post in that thread. Note the emotiocons.

Rags
          Last edited by Rags; 19 August 2001, 10:40.

Comment

Unfortunately, we too often rely on emoticons to clue the reader into the real intent of the message. Many new minis aren't familiar with the importance of emoticons on MURC so confusion ensues. Old correspondents may chide each other a bit in the forums and that's okay. Just remember this is a public forum and it deserves a level of self-respect. All Ant is asking is that we act civilized ... or else! Its real simple ... its our actions that will determine what happens to MURC.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Give me more

Nice job guys. At least we get to read something interesting after several months of stagnation!!!

Now seriously, I agree with Rags. It is a nasty world out there and don't expect the Inet to be any different.

What is different though is the fact that people who keep the order in that nasty world, at least try to keep some impartiality and most importantly be polite. I am not saying that a plain user can go around flaming, what I am saying is that the Mods of all people should never fall to such a level, by flaming, name calling or even joking , especially with people you do not know, or even think you know.

That is my opinion,

Eftychios

Comment

MURC might've been started by Joel, but it's not his anymore.
                I think it was Ant that started the MURC. As for the forums it was Flangor Strongaxe with Ant's help that got them started. I was just there when it was born. Let's get the facts straight.

Joel
                Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

im not registered for very long, but my experience was this: when i registered, everyone was excited because of the imminent release of the g800
                  when we didnt hear anything after cebit, things on this forum got tense, getting tenser and tenser till the g550 was announced. then it took a while for people to voice their opinions, and now things calm down again, with people waiting for the next announcment.

maybe it all comes down to seasonal atmosphere fluctuations?

Comment

OK folks I think we've all had chance to vent our spleens. I am asking for everyone to try and stop threads degenerating into flame fests. If you think someone is dangling a little flame bait ignore them and report it to me. We have always been able to deal with the malicious trouble causers in the past, if they are trolls they'll get the boot. Likewise we've always been able to deal with opposing views whatever they are without getting nasty and bringing out the flame throwers. Despite what several people have said I don't see any increase in newbies coming in here to stir up trouble, it seems poeple on both sides of these arguments are getting a little too sensitive.

As for nationalism, or religions for that matter, the MURC is a neutral zone. This NOT an American forum, this NOT a European forum this is the MURC forum. It wouldn't matter if 99% of the members were American that would not make it an American forum, it would not matter if 99% of the members were European, that would not make it a European forum, it does not matter that I am British that does not mean this is a British forum, this is just the MURC forum! I would have thought that the people using this forum are far more inteligent and grown up to drop down to caveman mode and start beating their chests on such issues. We are all individuals and are all diffferent, doesn't matter if you are from different countries, different towns or different streets. I always thought the Internet was supposed to break down the barriers not provide another platofrm for wars, but then again what do I know

Comment

Originally posted by Rags
                      Don't let someone on your favorite forum ruin your time.
                      Just a little FYI... the MURC has long since fallen from the "my favorite forum" status.

My favorite forum (in actuality, stepForum, which is closed or down at the moment), is one where I can actually help people. Since there's no really new card, I don't have a G550 and don't intend to buy one, and we've mostly seen every G400 problem possible, there's not much chance for me to enjoy helping someone get their Matrox card working well and seeing them realize what a good choice they made.

All there is to do here is joke around, or have a fight with somebody who wants to:
                      1) tell me to buy a GeForce because I'm a Matrox cultist (and not even much of that, imo);
                      2) tell Jord he's an @-hole;
                      3) tell me I'm an @-hole for moving from the US to Holland to be with Jord (since Jord is an @-hole, see, #2 above);
                      4) watch members telling other members they're @-holes because the first member doesn't like the second member.

Ooh, big fun! This is not my idea of a good time, and as a woman who has torn up her entire life in search of happiness, I am not prepared to settle for less on the flippin' Internet.

So you can take your "thicker skin" and I hope it helps your feet.

Yes, shockingly, people have the desire to be not offended or abused when going about their daily life, which includes surfing a forum on the Internet. You are staunchly standing by the right of yourself and others to be offensive. Even if you, Rags, personally are "mellower" than you used to be, others are less so.

Maar goed, enjoy yourselves, the lot of you who find this behavior rewarding. I hope that all members who remain here under these conditions manage to find a satisfying experience. If I'm only one of a few who cares about "the MURC tradition" and principles we used to try to uphold for our 'honor' (such as it is), so be it. The face I show to the world (even on a forum on the Internet) is important to me, and I know my response to a community dominated by those who don't care about what they show to the world. Life is far too short to be bothered with this idiocy of trying to change someone set in their determination to be confrontational, and I advise anyone dissatisfied to find some more fulfilling activity.

Veel succes iedereen. (Good luck, everyone.)
                      Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
                      -Jay Bulworth

Comment

I guess you missed the emotiocon in that post. You obviously didn't get it.
                        Which one, Rags?
                        The only you put in there? Or the other 45 you probably put in there by now? I am no even going to check all your posts now ...

One emoticon doesn't make your birthday better - another old Chinese proverb.

Edit: Rags, we don't like eachother too much. Get over it will ya? I don't care what you think of me. I do care about other people on here who now all of a sudden have to fight your onslaught. About Casper99 you have said, let's ignore him. I may then call for an all out ignore (possible through the forums btw guys) of ... you, Rags

Now... was that a joke or not? I used an emoticon !!

Jord.
                        Last edited by Jorden; 19 August 2001, 10:58.
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jord, I wouldn't stoop to your levels on that.

Jorden, you and I aren't going to come to an understanding. Hell I don't think anyone will ever understand you

Let's just agree to disagree.

Motub,

I am not looking for free reign to be offensive. But censorship is a bad thing, and sometimes we see things we don't like. It's called life.

Go to your utopia forum and have fun. I spend a considerable less amount of time on the forums here, not only because there is no one to help usually, but also because I spend time OUTSIDE MY HOME!

EDIT: In response to your edit Jorden, if you did ignore people more often you would be a much happier guy. Try it sometime, and get you group of buddies to try the same. It would work wonders. I never said to ignore Casper completely. I was trying to keep the thread on track "let's ignore casper and move on..." of course you wouldn't get it. It must be a language thing. /EDIT

Peace.

Rags
                          Last edited by Rags; 19 August 2001, 11:03.

Comment

I got a very good answer from someone through ICQ, btw, which says all...

Anonymous: And though Ant posted that warning, it seems that those four are taking as if everyone else is the problem..

Me: but don't you know? if only everyone else would leave... it would be so much easier

Jord.
                            Jordâ„¢

Comment

And I am called a coal raker.

With the above post by jordan "I got a very good answer from someone through ICQ, btw, which says all...

Anonymous: And though Ant posted that warning, it seems that those four are taking as if everyone else is the problem..

Me: but don't you know? if only everyone else would leave... it would be so much easier
                              "

No text or response needed for this.

Casey

Comment

This is going nowhere, guys.

Listen to Ant. He is the man with the plan. Let's not look for blame. Let's just try to keep ourselves in check. I think just about everyone in this thread can do things to help the community out. Let's improve.

Rags

Comment

Working...
                                X