Taipei 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Also note the glass pyramid outside Musee du Louvre"

The most incongruous thing in Christendom. The Palais du Louvre was an architectural masterpiece which started with an antique castle and built on over the ages and finished as late as 1852 as an extension of les Tuileries, destroyed during the Commune. The external appearance is fairly consistent in the style of the generally 17th/18th centuries, except for that modern glass monstrosity sitting plonk in the centre of la Cour Carrée. I've nothing against modern architecture, but this one is as contextually out of place as building a high-rise block of apartments between the Pyramids.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

you gotta admit, it's impressive...

~Sethos
      "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
        Almost every skyscraper built in the last few decades has a large counterweight. This is not a new concept, and it's nothing to be afraid of. The only real complication is making sure that it handles earthquakes, and they've got that taken care of as well.
        That's what I'm saying. Under an earthquake, or if the building is bombed, etc...the "ball could drop". Watch some shifty terrorist group make it drop for new years. LOL. Man, i'm horrible.

Also, no one answered my question: HOW do they get the ball up there???
        Last edited by Kooldino; 4 April 2003, 14:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
          Um... a crane maybe?
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Perhaps some Dutchmen can provide some insight - is there not a free standing structure there that beats the CN? Or perhaps it is supported? Or perhaps it is in another European country? Or perhaps I should not be talking whilst so tired?

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
              That's what I'm saying. Under an earthquake, or if the building is bombed, etc...the "ball could drop". Watch some shifty terrorist group make it drop for new years. LOL. Man, i'm horrible.

In pieces.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
              X