No announcement yet.

Hellish morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG Brian! Must have been a funny thing to see the expert fleeing, though.

@jonnylane:
    LOL

Comment

Just lit the fire again to a nice blazing roar to try an rid us of the residues still flying around.

Who's for a BeeBeeQ?
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

LOL!

I hate flankers...

Comment

Smoke generator?

Comment

Next time, do the trick:
            1) Take a pot with a bit of wine.
            2) Lit the fire
            3) Place the pot on the fire.

Voila'!
            Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Brian, you mean they've built this thing in a matter of hours?

Comment

there was nothing build...it is all bees .. don't you watch the discovery channel
                the bees follow the queen around trying to locate a new home.. given time, they might have build a nest there, removing the queen ( not something I would dare) would make them go away.. maybe a flamethrower would have worked good

Kasper
                We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

that dark thing attached to the chimney isn't nest?! Those are all bees?!

Comment

That mass of bees, occupying a tightly packed volume I would estimate at about 10 litres, with very little air between them, settled there in less than 10 minutes. If the estimated volume taken by a single insect were 1/4 cm3, this would mean ~40,000 beasties.

Current situation: I filled 2 vacuum cleaner bags, probably 2 litres each, with corpses from indoors. There were at least a litre of crematable corpses in the fireplace before I lit the fire. I brushed up a good, thick, shovelful of cadavers from a verandah which possibly received half of those that fell outdoors, the rest falling invisibly onto a gravel drive and a lawn. There are still small numbers falling, legs waving, ready to receive apian extreme unction and last rites. A very few are still buzzing round the chimney and I can see odd clumps of presumably dead ones matted together.

Anyway, the panic's over but I would not like to go through that experience again.

Five large aerosol cans of insecticide were used.

Comment

that's enough to make one bug-a-phobic...but it could have been worse...could have been hornets yikes!!

~Sethos
                      "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Well, my wife is bug-a-phobic and she was not at all a happy bunny. She shut herself in the bedroom and stayed there for three hours. I've become slightly apiphobic, at least for the time being! No honey for breakfast, thanks

Yikes, yes. Hornets are real nasties: would have meant the cyanide gang and heavy artillery! By coincidence, there was one in the garden this morning.

Comment

That's what you get for using pollen and honey to clean your chimney!

Jammrock
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Brian same thing happened to a friend of mine in rural North Carolina, but instead of killing them all off (pfff @ that so called expert) he sealed up the fireplace inside and got a bee keeper in to help with the situation two days later. He smoked the chimney from downstairs and retieved the majority of the hive for relocation on his property.
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yes, Greebe, that is what the final expert had wanted to do. The problem is that the fire brigade had used their 200 bar jet hose on them, in the hopes of dislodging them. It certainly upset a lot of them and had spread them out from a compact mass into a disordered set of bunches. He decided that, as he had no idea where the queen was or even if she was still there and, if so, alive. He therefore decided extermination was the only way. He gave the fire brigade a flea in their collective ear, though! This was because of their method, not only ineffective and brutal, but it meant he was under much attack while he was within close range of them.

The strange thing about the whole story is that only one person got stung: the first "expert", the one who ran away. The stupid bugger shouldn't have opened the fireplace. He didn't have any protective clothing!

Comment

Well, than that isn't so bad I suppose - sooner or later society probably won't have to deal with the first one

Comment

Working...
                                X