No announcement yet.

Spam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get sent an average of 50 spams per day and about 70 real e-mails. I may see, on average 1 spam every other day. The rest go into a place where I never see them. How do I do that? I use a Bayesian filtering system that is ultra-sophisticated. It sorts my mail into 7 "buckets" and my e-mail client sorts the "buckets" into 11 mailboxes. The sorting is well over 99% accurate (currently hovering at ~99.5%, i.e., 99.5% of all messages, spam included, go to the bucket they should do.

See http://popfile.sourceforge.net/ for more details.

The cost of this marvel? ZILCH, free, gratis and for nowt. It's an open-source software.

Warning: it'll take you a few days of conscientious telling your system which files you wish to go to which bucket, before it catches on, but the accuracy improves very rapidly. And there is a system overhead to run it, so booting takes a few seconds longer.

For me, who has tried many kinds of spam filtering, this is the greatest thing since sliced bread! I rejoice the day, about 4 months ago, that I found it.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
      Spam = pork and ham (yes i know its the same animal! )
      [HOMER SIMPSON]
      A maagical animal <fat smile>
      [/HOMER SIMPSON]
      -Slougi

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
        Spam = pork and ham (yes i know its the same animal! )
        Oh sure Lisa, a wonderful magical animal.
        --Insert something here--

Comment

I have my Hotmail account set up to only permit messages into my inbox from people on my buddy/safe list. Everything else goes straight into the junk mail folder. I get anywhere from 20 to 50 messages a day in my junkmail folder and after I give them a quick scan to make sure there isn't anything in there from anyone I know, I hit the "empty folder" button. I get ZERO spam in my inbox.

I wish ALL email programs had this feature.

(Then again, maybe they do. I haven't tried them ALL.)

Kevin

Comment

Mozilla's mail client has had built-in Bayesian filtering since version 1.3.
            Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Personally i use SpamNet

Cloudmark is a trusted leader in intelligent threat protection against known and future attacks, safeguarding 12 percent of the world’s inboxes from wide-scale and targeted email threats.

very good and i think it's free for home use. It integrates into outlook. And compares against a database of known spammers.

Comment

I get no spam in my 2 yahoo and my ISP accounts.

Wasn't getting any spam at @elvis.com account but I haven't checked that one for a while.

Hotmail: I started getting pensu enlargements and university diploma spams.

Comment

someone wants some spam???

**edit**
                  crap - my spam pictures saved as text files. I'm workin on it.
                  Last edited by Muad'Dib; 29 May 2003, 20:50.
                  "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                  --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

fixed....
                    Attached Files
                    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

and more spam....
                      Attached Files
                      --- Albert Einstein

Comment

wow, mmmmmmmmmm...Spam....
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                        X