No announcement yet.

Woman "dies on the tracks"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping off a building is not better - especially if you risk falling on someone!

It's hard to find a really good way of suicide, but I agree that jumping on front of a train is pretty selfish - then again, many people kill themselves because they can't stand the constant pressure and responsibility for others any more...

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

cant say that I ever have understood suiciders
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
        I agree w/ dZeus...so this was suicide or a mistake?
        I'm pretty certain it was suicide. She heard the train coming, looked to see what it was, and walked to the edge and jumped. Timed it beautifully (what a horrible misuse of that word).

What strikes me most is how calm she was. No hesitation, no running. It was like this was something she did every day... By the time I had any inkling of what was happening, I don't think anyone could have done anything. I've still got this image in my mind of her calmly jumping off the platform like a child jumps off a climbing frame, with this 70-80mph Eurostar about a foot or two behind her (from my point of view).

I'd imagine that if you're far gone enough that you'd actually try to kill yourself, then how your method of choice will affect anyone else just doesn't even occur to you. It just annoys me that the news report is so focused on how the trains were delayed, oh and this woman died, oh and it's not suspicious. I fully agree with Strahd. It's a tragic waste of a life, however it happened and whatever its consequences.

Anyway, it's been more than a day now, and I've just come back from a good hard aikido session and a few drinks, so I think I'll sleep better tonight than I did last night... Thanks for posting and letting me let this out guys, you're a swell bunch.

And a salute to the Doc. Those drinks were well deserved.
        Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

The shoot-outs and other street and cycle gang fights in the ER, Admitting and Imaging departments were much worse. We even had a couple major blowups in the surgical ICU.

These kinds of things are really nothing special and similar events (and often worse) happen in trauma centers every day. Part of the territory.

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 May 2003, 15:32.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
            I agree w/ dZeus...so this was suicide or a mistake? If it was suicide it was a real A-hole way to go. Jump of a building next time, don't make people late and screw up their lives.

If it was an accident, well, then that sucks.
            NEXT TIME?!?

Black humor time there, sorry..

Ribbit, you said it was a girl, really. How old was she? Hope it wasn't one of those poor depressed teens with an Ophelia complex. I still don't understand why these young girls want to kill themselves or cut themselves even.. I guess it's some whacked out homonal thing that comes with puberty sometimes. What an awful waste..

I agree about the reporting there, btw. Screw the trains! Dipshit dumbass reporter!

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
              Ribbit, you said it was a girl, really. How old was she? Hope it wasn't one of those poor depressed teens with an Ophelia complex.
              Could well have been. I didn't get to see her face, but I'd say she was about 20 or a little younger. Just old enough so the news report says "woman" rather than "girl".

Edit/Update: There's a bit about this in a local paper. Not much to add (although it's far more balanced than the BBC report), but it said that she's believed to have been 20 years old and local. I guess that means someone has some idea of who she was.
              Last edited by Ribbit; 29 May 2003, 06:06.
              Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Working...
              X