No announcement yet.

Sammy Sosa busted with a corked bat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think my opinion of athletes MAY be unduly influenced by my even lower opinion of "fans". I put that word in quotes because obviously none of yOU guys fall into that category. I'm talking about the sweating nauseating masses that pain themselves different colors and kill the fans of opposing teams.

That society encourages and even glorifies these activities disgusts me.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

both KvH and Gurm. (OMG, what happens to me? )

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

The Solution is simple: don't go to the those stadiums and pay the money to attend the games....this is called voting with your feet.

If you don't like it, don't participate. There are some people out there who need to participate just to stay (somewhat) sane.

I personally can't stand most Basketball and Football sportscasters: they are continually trying to upstage their peers and have absolutely nothing to contribute...baseball announcers are at least rational throughout the game. The most insidious sportscasters are the commentators for Golf: Their half-whispered words of inconsequence do nothing for me (and the audience).
        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I saw... I'm not making this up... a MARBLES tournament a few years back when ESPN2 didn't have enough programming to fill all 24 hours.

The commentators were DEAD FRIGGIN' SERIOUS, and sounded just like Golf or Pool commentators.

"Well Jim, do you think he's gonna use the BIG SHOOTER here?'

"No, Steve. Traditionally this shot calls for the CAT'S EYE, but I think he has a special BLUE BLAZER just for this tournament!"

"Ok, thanks Jim."

D'OH!

Commentators are the worst.

Fans + Commentators make me ill. These people think Dennis Miller is "really smart". YIKES!

I am not anti-athletics, MM. I'm really not. I enjoy tennis, touch football with friends (sometimes MORE than touch... GRR), and shooting hoops - not to mention martial arts.

I'm anti-"sports". There's a HUGE difference.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

But it can be said that you cannot have one without the other, it is the foundation of all games.

besides Sports - Athletics = Recess
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I remember when I could afford to go to a major sports event.
              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Yeah it used to be a nice thing to do. Now, even if I could afford it, It would be so much of a ripoff it would ruin the fun. Movies are getting that way too. Time for these "celebrities" and their producers to come back to the real world along with sports teams and their owners.

Comment

One the I like about football commentators. "it's a good time to score a goal"

Funny I always thought it always a good time to score a goal.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Oh yes, those oh so timeless quotes:

"Quarterbacks don't like to get sacked."

"Receivers like to make touchdowns."

"Team owners like to win."

In Basketball:

"You really want to avoid flagrant fouls."
                    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I reckon they should check everyones bats...theres an umpire standing behind the batter is there not?
                      when the batter walks up to the base, he checks the bat...

edit: to discourage anyone else who may have been/thought of using said 'corked' bat.
                      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666
                        I reckon they should check everyones bats...theres an umpire standing behind the batter is there not?
                        when the batter walks up to the base, he checks the bat...

edit: to discourage anyone else who may have been/thought of using said 'corked' bat.
                        It's hard to tell. They could only really tell because it shattered.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

heh, puts that out then...what about weight?
                          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                            Didn't mean to bring family into it. I'll concede that there is the occasional thinking man amongst the Baseball crowd. "Football" and "Hockey" (and "Bucketball", as it should have originally been called) are still right out in the brain department.

Where I work, there's a hell of a lot of geeks, nerds, book smart people, call them what they want. They know nothing about sports, nothing about mechanics, nothing about home repair, nothing about anything manual. All they know are computers. Maybe comics. The complete opposite of the types you refer to in sports.

It takes all kinds my friend.

I count myself "fortunate" that I know just enough about most of these subjects that I can get by, that I can play some sports in my spare time, bike, rollerblade, ski, discuss politics, music, help a friend or family member fix his car etc.
                            #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
                            people do all day!"

Comment

The verdict is in.
                              MLB has suspended Sammy Sosa for 8 games.
                              "Mistake or not, it was still a violation of the rules"
                              Sammy is appealing the suspension...
                              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

pretty fair, I would think
                                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
                                X