Anyone into Kayaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone into Kayaking?

Anyone kayak out there? I was thinking about getting into it..since it would be something nice to do during the weekends and get some exercise and I have access to large freshwater reservoirs and the ocean is only 20 minutes or so from where I live. I'm mostly just looking for some novice pointers and suggestions to see what I need to get etc...
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

I would love too, but Kayaking the Great Salt lake, would not be much fun.
    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

i did kayaking for 3 times already! great fun!! except when it capsizes....

Comment

Re: Anyone into Kayaking?

Originally posted by GT98
        Anyone kayak out there? I was thinking about getting into it..since it would be something nice to do during the weekends... and the ocean is only 20 minutes or so from where I live.
        My advice is to set your sights a bit lower to begin with
        Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

The hardest thing I found was to not let go of the paddle when you are loosing your balance.. that is a sure way to turn upside down
          don't try on the ocean first.. go somewhere where you do not have to worry about waves, and get used to the whole idea.. see if they have a weekend intro course somewhere where you can try it out, before you go ahead and buy a kayak
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Well it depends.

Ocean Kayaking is fun... and good Kayaks in relatively calm water seldom capsize.

I've never capsized one of our kayaks, except when I did it intentionally... but on the other hand these are OCEAN kayaks, which are a good bit longer and more sturdy than their freshwater counterparts. Not that you can't use them in freshwater, mind you.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Well having the Atlantic Ocean less then 20 minutes from your door just adds to where I can go. I have a nice reservoir thats huge about 10 minutes down the street. Thats where I plan on learning LOL. My buddy has a kayak and I'm gonna see if I can get him to go out with me with it to try it out.
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

We've used Sea Touring Kayaks for Fly Fishing for almost 10 years now.

It's a blast and when it gets real windy you can surf in them.

My advice is find a shop that sells Kayaks and offers Safety Training. Learn to do Self Rescue, Buddy Rescue and the rest of the Safety Training.
                Then go demo different makes and brands before you buy one.

As far as capsizing or having my kayak roll - it hasn't happened. I've even been out in 70 MPH wind .
                Seda Kayaks

Necky Kayaks

Current designs

Nimbus

Last edited by ALBPM; 23 June 2003, 15:41.
                "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

1 week on a river (class 3, iirc?) & lake with small (really small whitewater-type) kayaks.

fun, but these things DO roll over. coming back up .. can be tricky (it's a bit disturbing to be stuck in something head-down under the water) & some fish come looking for you.

interesting part: diving with the kayak from a cliff (or a diving board). quite a new experience.

mfg
                  wulfman
                  "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                  "Lobsters?"
                  "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                  "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Like I said - Ocean Kayaks.

It's like sailing, only... no sail.

Err, and no tiller.

And no centreboard/keel.

And really no sailboat... hmm.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Hey, but you can have a Rudder.
                      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
                      X