Something everyone should do every once in awhile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something everyone should do every once in awhile

Well I got mad Monday morning, so I hopped in my car and just took off just for the fun of it - only bad thing was I forgot to grab a camera.

Shot down from Colorado Springs to Santa Fe, Albequerque, over to Flagstaff, down to Phoenix, down and over to Yuma, and stayed in San Diego until I caught Tuesday night's sunset at La Hola beach before turning around to come back.

You forget how refreshing a pointless road trip can be if you let youself stay stuffed up too long - there's always a reason not to take off (work, school, etc...), but I put 2,542.2 miles on my car in 2 days - plenty of time to make the same run on any given weekend.

My left arm is cooked (I don't think I every had my left arm inside the car except for the occasional two hand on the wheel driving requirements that popped up), and I feel like I just gained a few extra years of life from dumping my stress on the road (what a difference it makes just knowing that even though all problems will still be around when you get back, for just awhile you are just out for a drive and to hang out and all worries are half a continent away).

Just thought I'd share for the sake of sharing something positive

I think every one of you should grab your dog/cat, wife/kids, or get a housesitter/babysitter and rediscover your world - no rushing with A --> B goal, just go for the sake of going. I now have new frinds in Flagstaff AZ, and am looking forward to going back. I have a thousand exact spots in mind to go back to with my cameras.

I thought about you guys too - if I had any numbers I would've bought lunch for the Murcers on my route

A couple days in my car and I feel at least 5 years younger - the next time I catch any of you guys bickering or complaining I'll come pick you up personally. toss you in my car and take you on a good old fashioned pointless roadtrip (yeah, even you guys over seas, aut shipping can't be that expensive )
    Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

About to do this tomorrow But for a whole week down towards the West Country
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I prefer to go riding on my bike, but much to the same effect.
      Last edited by K6-III; 4 July 2003, 18:57.
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Re: Something everyone should do every once in awhile

Originally posted by seether
        - the next time I catch any of you guys bickering or complaining I'll come pick you up personally. toss you in my car and take you on a good old fashioned pointless roadtrip (yeah, even you guys over seas, aut shipping can't be that expensive )
        Man, my life f**ing sucks!

Nah, actually I just got back from a short fun trip myself. Hopped down to Austin and saw Matrix Reloaded (yeah, hadn't seen it yet) and The Italian Job. The latter is a blast so see it if you haven't yet. There was this part in it where I laughed harder than I have in a long time (where the techno guy is mocking the convo going on between Jason Statham and the cable girl.. hilarious! ) Just a short trip but had a decent time, and caught both shows during "bargain" hours (still $5.75 but cheaper than normal price.. oh well, wtf)

Comment

Re: Something everyone should do every once in awhile

Originally posted by seether
          ...I put 2,542.2 miles on my car in 2 days - plenty of time to make the same run on any given weekend.
          1200+ miles each way... that would take me to, um, Iceland. Better check my tire pressures first
          Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

1200 miles would see me in South Korea or Siberia depending on which way i went.
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

1200 miles in any direction would put me somewhere in North America or the North Atlantic...whichever

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Re: Re: Something everyone should do every once in awhile

Originally posted by Ribbit
                1200+ miles each way... that would take me to, um, Iceland. Better check my tire pressures first
                yeah, and your diving gear
                Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Ahhhh, I see seether is another man who enjoys a decent drive. I'm getting the phuck outta dodge next weekend. Won't be as long as yours (only 600KM each way), but I hear ya about the stress relief of a nice drive. Gotta take my new CAI out on the highway and see how much better my mileage is. Your post has got me drive-horny now. Can't wait till next week!!
                  Bart

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                    1200 miles in any direction would put me somewhere in North America or the North Atlantic...whichever

Dr. Mordrid
                    Hmmm, ocean to the East, land to the West and FREEZING COLD to the north and finally good weather near the south. West it is! (I'm from western Canada)

Whent on a cool road trip yesterday, had no idea where we were until about 100 km's in. Winged it all th eway and still got back right on time. You can't get lost in Ontario.
                    Titanium is the new bling!
                    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

You can if you head for certain parts around Hudson Bay east of Peawanack. Been there, done that

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I tend to stay in the general area (200km radius), my road trips usually only last a few hours. And there's only so long you stay stay sitting in a Saturn before your muscles start to cramp up and your bum start going numb.

If I had a better vehicle then I'd be road tripping a whole lot more and I'd be tempted to drive a lot further.
                        Titanium is the new bling!
                        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
                        X