No announcement yet.

What Production Vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hummer is a great vehicle, but properly maintaining it is beyond many owners' abilities.

Remember what it was designed for: Military operations, not completely autonomous operations. Hummers set up for deep reconnaisance look very different from the rank-and-file machines setup for convoy duty.

That said, there have been quite a few retrofitted with gasoline engines and some other hardware changes for rally-type racing, and they do just fine.
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Toyota Landcruiser 4.2VX - I've done many many 1000's of miles in one, (mainly road use) and a lot of it off-road. Costs a lot to maintain, but it never ever lets you down.

T.
      FT.

Comment

Yes, I was just kidding; I think this comment best describes it:

Originally posted by MultimediaMan
        Remember what it was designed for: Military operations, not completely autonomous operations. Hummers set up for deep reconnaisance look very different from the rank-and-file
        More seriously, I'd also think you can't go wrong with a LandCruiser or Land Rover or something like that... (*true* off-roaders, unlike e.g. the BMW, as I read it really doesn't work off road)

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

A hummer wouldn't be ideal. Still, you have to respect any vehicle with 4WD but can still move itself if three of the wheels are knocked powerless.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I had rejected the Hummer since I assumed it couldn't pull a trailer with the necessary gasoline and provisions given it's gas mileage.

Comment

All your choices are too small and unreliable.
              I drove one of these with a concrete pump on it for 17 years.
              It'll go anywhere and never break.
              Take my word for it, this is what you want.:

chuck
              Last edited by cjolley; 7 July 2003, 11:02.
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

he wanted something with 20 miles per gallon, not 20 gallons per mile
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at ProfitSuite.Widget.TRUCKLOCATORWidget.Process(Stri ng XMLIn, HttpSessionState httpSession, HttpRequest httpRequest, HttpResponse httpResponse)
                  when I follow the link.....
                  Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
                    he wanted something with 20 miles per gallon, not 20 gallons per mile
                    With the tiny load he's talking about it might get 20mpg.
                    I drove it before they put the 45,000lb pump on it and it drove like a race car!
                    chuck
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by RedRed
                      when I follow the link.....
                      well, same thing just happened to me
                      changed it to:

chuck
                      Last edited by cjolley; 7 July 2003, 11:03.
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Yeah but for offroading? Those sorts of trucks are fine if you have a road to drive them on.

I'll still take a Rover, thanks. Or perhaps a Mercedes Gelundavagon (sp?), NOT a G-Class but the real deal...

- Gurm
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                          ...I'll still take a Rover, thanks. Or perhaps a Mercedes Gelundavagon (sp?), NOT a G-Class but the real deal...
                          Cool, then if you get that tinkertoy stuck, I can pull you & your 6 buddies out at the same time
                          chuck

PS Realy, I've had them off road a lot carrying much larger loads than he is talking about (64,000lb gvw).
                          They can still pull if only one wheelset gets traction.
                          There's no substitute for all those big tires and > 1200ft/lb of torque.
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

One of the criteria is that you have to be able to afford to buy it for the drive...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                              Yeah but for offroading? Those sorts of trucks are fine if you have a road to drive them on.

I'll still take a Rover, thanks. Or perhaps a Mercedes Gelundavagon (sp?), NOT a G-Class but the real deal...

- Gurm
                              geländewagen?

or do you mean the "unimog"? versatile little beast...

mfg
                              wulfman

PS.: (classic version)
                              Last edited by Wulfman; 7 July 2003, 13:46.
                              "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                              "Lobsters?"
                              "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                              "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R.
                                One of the criteria is that you have to be able to afford to buy it for the drive...
                                You could easlily get a used Mack MR600S with a 300hp (ie small) engine , 9 Speed, and AC for $20,000 - $50,000.
                                So it could be cheaper than some of the the others.
                                And wouldn't even notice the trip or the load.

chuck
                                PS You could even carry a UNIMOG as a spare.
                                PPS Toyota
                                Last edited by cjolley; 7 July 2003, 14:05.
                                Chuck
                                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                                X