Commodore 64 hardware relaunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commodore 64 hardware relaunch

Tulip Computers, which owns the Commodore brand name, plans to relaunch the brand to take advantage in an upsurge of interest in the obsolete Commodore 64 (C64) computer and its 1980s-era games, the company said in a statement Friday.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Cool

Comment

I have 3 downstairs with one set up for the kids to game on. Still works great.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

hmm, i don' t see the "hardware relaunch"

Tulip is working with Ironstone Partners, which will handle all sales of Commodore 64-related products worldwide and take over the main C64 Web portal. Enthusiasts have made over 10 million game downloads, the site owners have said.

Rakido
        "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Through its web portal, Ironstone will market the official C64 emulator in various software and hardware formats.
          Tulip will introduce, the upcoming months, new hardware products under the Commodore brand name, being able to use the C64 emulator.

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Uhm.. Instead of buying their emulator, wouldn't it be much easier (and cheaper) to just download and install VICE ?

Comment

If they really want to create some buzz, they should re-launch the line with the new Athlon 64 processor.

How fast would those old games run on a 3GHz, 64 bit system? Would you even be able to see the action?

Kevin

Comment

Why bother with the Commodore 64? Why not go all the way to bring back the Amiga or evern the Commodore 128????

The C 128 can also emulate the C64!

Regards,
                Elie

Comment

The Amiga was a much better machine, and I personally prefered the Atari 800XL, it had much better loading times.

It seems to me, they are just trying to capitalize on the Emulation market, by selling what is currently free. In the article they mention all the websites using the C64 name without a license. Like anyone is going to pay for a license to display the C64 name on their site.
                  Sorry, not impressed.
                  "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by Byock
                    The Amiga was a much better machine, and I personally prefered the Atari 800XL, it had much better loading times.

It seems to me, they are just trying to capitalize on the Emulation market, by selling what is currently free. In the article they mention all the websites using the C64 name without a license. Like anyone is going to pay for a license to display the C64 name on their site.
                    Sorry, not impressed.
                    Oh man, I loved my 800XL. I spent many hours sitting in front of it playing Zork.

Comment

I even tried a Commodore Pet for a low-cost scientific instrument in the 1970s Soon replaced it by the much better HP-85!
                      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I started with an Altair then got a Super PET. Next came the C-64, 128 then the numerous Amigas that I ran until about 1995.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Vic 20, C64, Amiga 500 and then a Amiga 1500 with an accelerator.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I was in teh Spectrum camp (here Spectrum vs Commodore was like Intel vs AMD now to an extent), but I'd like to have one now regardless.

Comment

Holy smokes you too eh UtwigMU

I started with the Sinclair ZX Spectrum + and my friend had the C64. We would always compare games, deep down I always liked the C64 for it's superior audio capabilities (at the time) the Sinclair was just a bunch of bleeps and blops, of coarse until the Sinclair Amstrad 128 which had greater polyphony and better graphics.

Cheers,
                              Elie

Comment

Working...
                              X