Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift Stakes

Hi Murcers,

Earlier this month, my daughter have given her name (email address) on a site (http://www.giftstakes.com) offering various free gifts/prizes and have received the following email today:

Your email address was entered into our September Microsoft X-Box promotional competition
    by yourself or a friend, family member, or associate.

This is a prize draw, you are now the lucky winner of a brand new Microsoft X-Box Gaming Console!

You are now entitled to simply claim your prize online at our website, you dont
    have to buy anything, just collect your prize that you have already won.
    There has only been a few winners out of many thousands of submissions,
    so do count yourself lucky!

Please make sure you visit the following link within 72 hours, you have a temporary passcode.
    If you do not go to this link within that time your winning shall unfortunately be returned to
    the prize pool.

Here is your link!

On the page you will need to enter this pass code number to proceed: xxxxxxxx

This is very important. Do not lose that number!
    Put in your address, and we will simply mail your X-Box to you.

We hope that you will enjoy your new X-Box gaming console.

Congratulations on winning,

From Microsoft and the GiftStakes.Com team!

When providing the pass code number you are re-directed to a SSL secured site asking to provide personal details because...
    Due to several winners that have been impersonated, we now require that you pay for shipping as verification that you are the actual winner. We apologize for this inconvenience but it is to make sure that YOU get your X-Box, not someone else!
    You will only be charged for the shipping option that you select below. The X-Box itself is of no charge.

and you are asked to provide your credit card information but there is also another comment entered just before the credit card details entry fields:

I told my daughter that it is probably a hoax (like the date above “20-10-03” is wrong) and this is the first time that I have hear about such promotional competition.

Do you think that this is a hoax or that they are for real ?

DC
    Asus EAH4870, Samsung SyncMaster 2232GW LCD, Asus P5Q Premium, Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz 1600 MHz FSB, Antec TruePower Quattro 1000, 5 Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA, Iomega 1GB Jaz, 4.09GB (OCZ 1066 DDR2 Reaper), Sound Blaster Audigy 2, LG GH22LS30, Logitech MX-1000, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows XP Professional (SP3)

None of the pictures on the site opens for me.. smells fishy
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Sounds scammy

Comment

None of the pictures on the site opens for me.. smells fishy
        That right tjalfe... Yesterday I was able to see all the pictures, which isn't the case this morning... Hummm sound definitely like a scam now. It is a good thing that my daughter does not have a credit card (yet ) and had to ask me to provide my credit card details before been able to send them the requested info...

DC
        Asus EAH4870, Samsung SyncMaster 2232GW LCD, Asus P5Q Premium, Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz 1600 MHz FSB, Antec TruePower Quattro 1000, 5 Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA, Iomega 1GB Jaz, 4.09GB (OCZ 1066 DDR2 Reaper), Sound Blaster Audigy 2, LG GH22LS30, Logitech MX-1000, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows XP Professional (SP3)

Comment

Well there's nothing wrong with "20-10-03" except that it's 5 days ago now.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm

- Gurm
            Or 25 days in the future (24 now) depending on which universe you are in

Comment

- Gurm
              I may be a Mini MURCer but I have been reading posts on MURC on a regular basis since 1997 and I can tell you that I will not fall into your clever trap Gurm...

Nice try by the way

DC

Comment

This is a SCAM. They only regsitered this domain 4 days ago(September 22nd). One person from another forum sent an email to godaddy.com which is the registrar for the latest web domain giftstakes.com. Here was there response:

Thank you for contacting the GoDaddy.com Spam and Abuse Department. We have redirected the gift-stakes.com domain name for violations of our Spam and Abuse policies. Please allow 24-48 hours for this action to take full effect.
                Hope this helps,

Dave
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Thanks Helevitia it is really helping...

I will show your reply to my daughter since (yesterday) while acknowledging my observation/comments she was still hoping that I might me wrong.

Man, the spamers/scammers are getting better and better and people must exercise great precaution (the kids are the most vulnerable ones imho)

DC

Comment

Working...
                  X