Driving me insane, driving me insane, driving me insane, driving me insane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving me insane, driving me insane, driving me insane, driving me insane

I have been working on creating more MP3s for the school I work at. Taking old tapes, recording then to my work PC, editing and distributing them to classroom PCs.

The teaching method they use here is quite ...uhhh... unusual.
    These MP3s are in a format the boss calls "4-4-4".

Here's a sample of one I did a few weeks back:

If you listen to that MP3, you'll understand the title of this topic.

Currently, I'm working on US History "phrases".

I don't know
    I don't know
    I don't know
    I don't know
    If I can
    If I can
    If I can
    If I can
    Take it much
    Take it much
    Take it much
    Take it much
    Take it much
    Longer
    Longer
    Longer
    Longer

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Try listening to that while RealOne player does the 'Nebula' visualisations!

Kenny - how are these phrases given some context?

T.
    FT.

Comment

I pity you
      I pity you
      I pity you
      I pity you

Can't believe I actually listened to that mp3... ok, only half of it, still, enough to drive you nuts

Comment

Fat-

These phrases are combined with the second part which is called "5-5-5".
        It is taped readings from textbooks, where the tape is played for 5 minutes, while the kids take notes. Then for 5 minutes they pair up with another student and read their notes back to each other, followed by another 5 minutes where they takes their notes, and do a "fast write" brief article about what they have picked up from that section.

Unfortunatly, the phrases in the 4-4-4 are not always synchronised with what is played in the 5-5-5, so more often than not, the phrases are out of context with that days work...
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

OMG I actually listened to the whole thing.

The girl speaking is starting to sound bored.

Comment

oh my god.
            no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

I feel truly sorry for you.
              I feel for the poor students who have to listen to it too.
              Since it's on old tapes, the method must be quite old, and there have probably come out much better pedagogical methods than that one.
              <font size="-4">User error:
              Replace user and try again.
              System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
              System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
              </font>

Comment

Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

If I learned stuff at school like this, I'd have commited suicide a LONG time ago.
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I am not sure what exactly this does for students??
                    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

My condolences
                      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I wish I could say that I never have heard that kind of stuff erlier.....
                        But that be lying

Kruzin, I hope you pull through that without completely losing your sanity
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Zao
                          I feel truly sorry for you.
                          I feel for the poor students who have to listen to it too.
                          Since it's on old tapes, the method must be quite old, and there have probably come out much better pedagogical methods than that one.
                          Actually, the sample I posted was not off of old tapes. That gal recorded those phrases on a PC a couple months ago, and I edited them. But most of what I have done has been off of old tapes.
                          The method has evolved over the years. At one time it was what the boss called 3+3 (3 repeats, two times). Then it was 4+4. In the last year he has changed to 4-4-4.

And yes, the students truley hate it. The staff hates it. But it's a method thats been used for decades here, and the administration swears by it. The repetition pounds the information into their thick little skulls, and it seems to stick. Most of our kids here are very bright, and pass all state required testing. The student body is made up of kids who have not succeeded in "traditional" schools for whatever reason, but most of them get through it here...

Comment

AHHHHH! Make it stop! You know, I'm starting to hear, "kill yourself, kill yourself, kill yourself, kill youself", "kill the teacher, kill the theacher, kill the teacher, kill the teacher"

Kruzin, you have my full sympathies...
                            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
                            X