Max Payne 2 - The fall of Max Payne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Payne 2 - The fall of Max Payne

I know. Theres fora for this sort of thing.
    But.

THis is just the best sequel I have EVER seen.

The story is SOOOO good - clearly the best FPS storyline of all times (yes, better than systemshock).

The Film Noir atmosphere, the stills, the voiceacting.. Stunning.

One word of advice: Prepare for a sitting! THe game is long and VERY catching (I came home from work late last night, installed just to "try it". Next moment its half past 3 in the morning!!).

Just wanting to share...

TRY IT!

~~DukeP~~

Haven't played it myself, but Penny Arcade blasted it. (they say bad things about most things though. )

Comment

I tend to agree with Gabe (on PA).

The first Max Payne was boring. I played about 2/3 of the way through and got sick of it.

1. Enter room.
      2. Activate bullet time.
      3. Shoot bad guys in slow motion.

Rinse... repeat.

Add to that the overly irritating narrative, and you have a game that was graphically nifty... well, maybe not.

The graphics were bad, too. This new one at least has interesting graphics and an interesting physics engine. That's about it. Otherwise, it's Max "Boring" Payne all over again.

It's like Tycho says - if you got sick of Max Payne, you'll be sick of Max Payne 2 before the game even starts.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

I've never tried it, but I was hooked to Deus Ex.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          I tend to agree with Gabe (on PA).

The first Max Payne was boring. I played about 2/3 of the way through and got sick of it.

1. Enter room.
          2. Activate bullet time.
          3. Shoot bad guys in slow motion.

Rinse... repeat.

Add to that the overly irritating narrative, and you have a game that was graphically nifty... well, maybe not.

The graphics were bad, too. This new one at least has interesting graphics and an interesting physics engine. That's about it. Otherwise, it's Max "Boring" Payne all over again.

It's like Tycho says - if you got sick of Max Payne, you'll be sick of Max Payne 2 before the game even starts.

- Gurm
          In fact you have just described ANY FPS game I have played the latest 7 years

You enter room, kill bad guys,

ad infinitum

the rooms might look disimilar but they are still a confined area that containes advesaries that has to be defeated
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
            Haven't played it myself, but Penny Arcade blasted it. (they say bad things about most things though. )
            Actually they say they REALLY like it?
            Have the link changed?

I craved the first game, and only recently reinstalled it to get back in the mood. I loved the first Max Payne with the unwavering, bulletproof love I have for all kittens. It's intense and very masculine. So when I install the new one and see environments crafted with adoration and a sense of architecture, I see textures and models that are just sick, and I shoot a man into a shelf which then collapses, I get the same feeling I had before back - the good feelings I remembered. The graphical improvements, what I call fancy deli toothpicks, would be hard to overstate. I will stand by a light sometimes and just move around to see the shine on the coat.

The story that bores Gabe so intensely I am thus far perfectly satisfied with, but admittedly I wasn't expecting much. I've participated in a few fairly strange interactive cutscenes that are far less self-indulgent and more involving than the ones from the first game, I am satisfied that they have matured their storytelling technique based on what I've seen thus far. I think I'll go play it some more.

MP2 is VERY pretty. Some of the textures are photorealistic.
            The animations are superb (motion captured).
            The decor is the best I have Ever seen - although the standard IS varying through the game (some of the scupltures and artwork in the game is stunningly done).

But yes, if your not into fps, and doesnt dig a film noir story - then this game is not for you. Nothing new there..

For me, this is fps at is best - and for the first time - with a story that in itself wants me to continue, to get to just the next chapter, to hear another cutscene, to see where it all ends...

~~DukeP~~
            Last edited by DukeP; 18 October 2003, 02:44.

Comment

Currently I'm playing through MaxPayne 1 and as soon as that is done I'm going to buy MP2
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I loved MP1 - one of the few games I have bought and stuck with to the end. (Actually, I didn't used bullet time all that much). I'll be getting MP2 Just need a 36 hour day and some ProPlus
                FT.

Comment

Mmm, candy... eye candy !
                  Never got to finish MP1, might just have to do so, to connect some stories.

Here's hoping for Mafia 2

Comment

No no. It's simply that SOME people (myself included, Gabe from PA included, and others) found Max Payne 1 to be the most boring, repetitious, only-one-way-through-the-completely-linear-levels, horrendously overhyped FPS ever.

And if you got sick of MP1, MP2 will not impress you. It's prettier, but it's the same boring one-way-through linear game with better graphics.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

MP2 isnt as linear as MP1. Many of the levels can be completed (traversed) in different ways.

Actually theres severals (very) different endings to MP2.
                      This isnt a spoiler - they are only available after accessing the advanced games.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Personally... MP1 was quite cool and fun, however i did grow bored of it by the end, completing it only because the violence was oh so pretty... (and i wanted to see the ending...)

I personally also thought that the original had a much better story (so far).

The second is more of the same, although I believe that the execution of what story is there is far better than the first one. Level design, graphics design, sound, etc. Its just better. However... what everyone else has said is true... if you didn't like the first one, the second isn't really worth playing for you... it is more of the same...
                        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Duke,

I've installed it, and I will play it, and if the levels DO branch then hey I might keep my interest.

A game needs something SPECIAL to keep my interest. Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy had ... well ... light saber dueling.

- Gurm

Comment

New review up at ign: http://pc.ign.com/articles/455/455259p1.html?fromint=1

9.4/10
                            Edit: Yet another review up: http://www.gamershell.com/reviews_MaxPayne2Review.shtml

~~DukeP~~
                            Last edited by DukeP; 19 October 2003, 14:28.

Comment

Is it just me or did it seem too short ?

Comment

Working...
                              X