Microsofts remote enabling of features in OE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsofts remote enabling of features in OE

Aparantly MS has sent out some kind of command to all users who use outlook express that disables the opening of any atachments that OE thinks might be viruses

these include:
    PDF
    DOC
    ZIP
    EXE
    XLS
    JPG
    GIF

and lots of other

I'm just of the phone after talking with the twentieth person that suddenly found himself being unable to acces any of the files he got with his mail

In these cases Microsoft Suport has blamed Antivirus software, Firewalls, viruses, and other malicius software.

Antivirus makers blames everything else

Several ISP's routinly says that the OS has to be reinstalled to fix that "bug"

chaos reigns

"fixing" it only requires to untick a box in OE

Incredible enough, it does not stop email viruses at all
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

yeh .. its mind bogling how isps dont know that such a feture can be turned off..... its a bug... format and reinstall the os .. lol
    "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

This is why remote support is disabled ... completely ... on all my boxes.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Those who use MSIE, Outlook and Outlook Express deserve all they get and give to others. Wouldn't touch 'em with a 10 foot bargepole

For the record, my bargepole is slightly shorter, even in action!
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
          For the record, my bargepole is slightly shorter, even in action!
          now who was the one that said that size didn't matter??

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
            This is why remote support is disabled ... completely ... on all my boxes.
            uhm, it happens on about every MS OS and version of IE/OE
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
              uhm, it happens on about every MS OS and version of IE/OE
              It is enabled in a security update! This happend almost a year ago now!
              According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

LOL!

I do work at an ISP, and all 150 techs there know that you just need to uncheck the box in the security options. But I ask every customer which anti-virus they have if they have one and so far 100% of them had Norton or McAfee installed (on whichever version of windows). So I really think it comes from the anti-virus. Never had a customer with this option checked and no anti-virus (so far).

I also think it's a very low-quality mechanism too!

I find it funny also that some ISP's say to format and reinstall your box when where I work, if we say that to a customer, we are fired! It is simply not our box... All we can say is to go see their own technician and ask them if they need to format or if it's possible to fix the problem without formatting (and even then, when you have 150 techs working there, you rarely don't know what to do)... Which I think is excellent!

Oh yeah Guru, security update too must not help...
                Why SysAdmins like Unix?
                unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
                  Funny, since it seems to just get enabled randomly

Comment

Originally posted by Taz-Matt
                    LOL!

I do work at an ISP, and all 150 techs there know that you just need to uncheck the box in the security options. But I ask every customer which anti-virus they have if they have one and so far 100% of them had Norton or McAfee installed (on whichever version of windows). So I really think it comes from the anti-virus. Never had a customer with this option checked and no anti-virus (so far).

I also think it's a very low-quality mechanism too!

I find it funny also that some ISP's say to format and reinstall your box when where I work, if we say that to a customer, we are fired! It is simply not our box... All we can say is to go see their own technician and ask them if they need to format or if it's possible to fix the problem without formatting (and even then, when you have 150 techs working there, you rarely don't know what to do)... Which I think is excellent!

Oh yeah Guru, security update too must not help... [/B]
                    You'd be surpriced on how often I get in computers where I have to fix the aftermath of these kinds of advice from the ISP's.

another favorite is to start guiding the customer through a remove and reinstall of the dialup suport in win98 and when the suport realises that the customer don't have their win98 instal disc they just hung up on them

no wonder that the biggest suport centres here in sweden are lokated in the northen parts up near the Finnish border

Comment

LOL!

That's another thing too that if I do, where I work, I'll just get fired! (hang up on a customer when I didn't do my job properly). And anyways, if I'd do that and the customer calls again, he'll get me again, the calls are routed back to the same person for like 30 or 60 minutes where I work and if we have a lot of callbacks from the same customer, we can be fired too so there are not much ways of dealing with him that to really DO the work correctly. Maybe it's the reason why we had almost 30000 new customers last month.

But you right, some ISP's tech support just don't support and don't care that much about their customer. Maybe the techs are paid for every call they take... We are not! I don't know! I just don't know why somebody would do that, except for the fact that he/she may not like his job, but even then, it's not a good reason.
                      Why SysAdmins like Unix?
                      unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                        Those who use MSIE, Outlook and Outlook Express deserve all they get and give to others.
                        You should be proud of me, I have switched to Firebird and Thunderbird (mail) since last you made this comment

I'm not sure it's that old, I seem to remember it happen after installing the RPC exploit security updates and that was this summer.

Anyway, as Taz-Matt said, unchecking the box in the OE security options should allow you to open the attachments.

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                          You'd be surpriced on how often I get in computers where I have to fix the aftermath of these kinds of advice from the ISP's.

another favorite is to start guiding the customer through a remove and reinstall of the dialup suport in win98 and when the suport realises that the customer don't have their win98 instal disc they just hung up on them

no wonder that the biggest suport centres here in sweden are lokated in the northen parts up near the Finnish border
                          Over here they tell them to install their driver cd Usualy contains ie 5.xx (works well in XP)!

Oh by the way Technoid has this hapend to you in IE 5.xx or just in IE 6?
                          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

And how did they manage this?

Comment

Originally posted by Taz-Matt
                              LOL!

That's another thing too that if I do, where I work, I'll just get fired! (hang up on a customer when I didn't do my job properly). And anyways, if I'd do that and the customer calls again, he'll get me again, the calls are routed back to the same person for like 30 or 60 minutes where I work and if we have a lot of callbacks from the same customer, we can be fired too so there are not much ways of dealing with him that to really DO the work correctly. Maybe it's the reason why we had almost 30000 new customers last month.

But you right, some ISP's tech support just don't support and don't care that much about their customer. Maybe the techs are paid for every call they take... We are not! I don't know! I just don't know why somebody would do that, except for the fact that he/she may not like his job, but even then, it's not a good reason.
                              sadly the truth are that about 80% of all suport personel for ISP's here in sweden are hired on the 6 months benefits they get from the state and once that is done they fire em

so most ISP suport personels are stupid and KNOW that after 6 month their ass are out on the street again

to help them they got some generic flowcharts

and their motto is "The problem is ALWAYS in the customers computer"

Over here they tell them to install their driver cd Usualy contains ie 5.xx (works well in XP)!

Oh by the way Technoid has this hapend to you in IE 5.xx or just in IE 6?
                              Both

Comment

Working...
                              X