No announcement yet.

wish it was really so!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate to burst some bubbles, but unless your ISP is granting you 10 MBps, your connection really isn't that high. ADSL and Cable modems use standard 10 MB ethernet ports on their modems, which means that Winblows will report the connect as ... 10 MBps, but I doubt that's your true connection speed to the internet.

That would be very cool, mind you, if it was so...

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yeah my NIC reports 100Mbps too, but I only have 768kbps to the net. Fortunately, I don't have PPPoE but Covad's DSL still has quite a bit of overhead, so my throughput is closer to 650kbps.

I think Verizon is the only major ISP here to take the PPPoE overhead into account. If they say you get 1500/128, you will get that in practice. The connection here at work comes up as 1519/130 with the dslreports test.

Comment

I'm using SBC/SWBell ADSL using PPPoE, my speed's pretty good. Rated at 1500/128, on the DSLReports test I get 1151/136. The reliability is not so great though, usually it's fine but every now and then I get time periods where it just becomes ****ed up.

Comment

My Earthlink DSL is supposed to be 1.5/128. My DL tests at 955-1150, and about 1/8 of that is PPPoE crud. My uplink is 106, and about the same amount of crud.

Man I miss cable, though DSL is still much better than dial-up.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

swbell tried to get me to switch to PPPoE when they intituted it and I told them they would lose me as a customer.
            They never brought it up again.
            Competition is a wonderful thing.
            chuck
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
            X