hmm, is this a new type of scam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hmm, is this a new type of scam?

received an email a few days ago purporting to be a receipt for an item I supposedly purchased.
    the return email address is supposedly receipt@ukcards.com

--------------------

Please note: All charges to your statement
    will appear in the name "UKCARDS LIMITED".

Order Information
    Amount: £399.95
    Currency: GBP
    Merchant Name: HUNTINGDON MAIL ORDER
    Description: iPod Music Player 40GB

Customer Service
    Telephone: 01480 456111
    Email: N/A

Delivery Address
    47 Silver Street, London, NW1 5TR

If you have any questions on the delivery
    of this order or product details please contact
    the merchant directly using the above details.

--------------------

I have not called the customer service number given above as I've checked all credit/debit cards & there has been no transaction for the above over the last few days.
    the delivery address is also incorrect (purposefully?) for my home.
    I'm wondering if it's a new form of scam to try to get me to divulge my CC or debit card number had I first rung customer service for a query/refund.
    I'd be interested to find out if anyone else received such an email??

Could be that they just simply got someones email address wrong. Check out the company and if thier kosher drop them a line.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Is that your address? Might they be interested in personal details?
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I got something like this.

Turns out someone had gotten an OLD (very old) CC number of mine, and had ordered something with it. I got the confirmation beforehand.

I called them up and informed them that the CC listed would of course not work, and that I had not ordered such an item.

They caught a guy who had been either dumpster diving or data mining. I had to testify. Felt GOOOOOOOD.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Re: hmm, is this a new type of scam?

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
          r
          I'm wondering if it's a new form of scam to try to get me to divulge my CC or debit card number had I first rung customer service for a query/refund.
          I'd be interested to find out if anyone else received such an email??
          If you do get on the phone with them, you shouldn't have to talk about the entire CC#. Ask them the issuing bank, and only discuss the last 4 digits of the card. That should be enough to let you figure out what happened, without either one of you revealing an entire CC.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I would definately call in about it. Might be id theft related.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
              I would definately call in about it. Might be id theft related.

Jammrock
              that's an interesting thought but all they seem to "know" of me is my email address.
              usually when I order online, the confirmation email will have my name as well as my address on it hence the reason to suspect something is amiss here.

Comment

They just want you to reply.
                I bet they are just trying to verify that the email address they spamed is valid.
                Print it out and wait till you get your bill.
                If it's on there then contact your card company and deny the purchase.
                They will take care of it.
                If you should actualy receive the item, then start to worry.

chuck
                Last edited by cjolley; 15 December 2003, 14:58.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

just to bring this thread to a conclusion, the email was a hoax & a 21 year old man in Cambridgeshire has been arrested.

Cambridgeshire Police are warning people across the country about an e-mail that has been sent today advising people that they will have almost £400 removed from their bank accounts.
                  The message purports to come from a company called 'UK Cards' and says £399.95 will be taken from your bank account in payment for an 'ipod music player'.

It advises people to call a number for customer services if they have any queries. That number is the main switchboard for Cambridgeshire Constabulary.

Deputy Chief Constable Alan Given said: "This appears to be a deliberate attempt to affect the service provided by the force.

"If you have received such an e-mail we would advise you to ignore it and not ring the number of customer services that is listed.

"However, you should monitor your bank statement and if a similar amount is taken from it, contact your local force as soon as possible."

Comment

Working...
                  X