How to dispose of 30000 pot plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to dispose of 30000 pot plants

I work just 30 minutes from where they found this on the weekend.

Getting rid of unwanted weed
    Toxicologist suggests incineration is best route

CURTIS RUSH
    STAFF REPORTER THESTAR.COM

Now that police have broken up the biggest pot growing operation in Canadian history, they face a second problem: how to dispose of 30,000 marijuana plants.
    "Something this large, there is no normal practice," said Barrie Police Sergeant George Cabral. "That may present some difficulty in itself."

The plants will either be burned or buried. But there's so much stock, the police aren't exactly sure how they should proceed with the process.

And since the plants are in various stages of growth, many of them still in potting soil, police won't know exactly how much volume they're dealing with for several days.

"We're not talking pounds and pounds," Cabral said. "We're talking tons and tons."

Authorities are considering the dilemma in the wake of a massive weekend bust. Police uncovered a sprawling marijuana grow operation hidden in plain sight in the former Molson brewery on Highway 400 near Barrie. The site held eating and sleeping quarters for up to 50 men, police said, and was capable of generating hundreds of millions of dollars. Nine men face charges in connection with the bust.

More charges are expected as the investigation continues.

Right now, police aren't even sure who will make the final decision on what's to be done with the piles of pot.

"We'll just have to wait to see what's going to be done," said Cabral. "They will have to be destroyed."

Keith Solomon, director of the Centre for Toxicology at the University of Guelph, has some suggestions.

"The easiest thing would be to have it incinerated," Solomon said.

Police are also considering shredding the plants, mixing it with other garbage and burying it.

"If it were buried, they have to make sure it's deep enough so that it wouldn't germinate," Solomon said. "If it's mixed with other garbage, it would be a lot of work to dig it up, but some people … might attempt to do that. So I suspect they'll incinerate it and won't tell anybody where they're doing it."

Police have confirmed that whatever happens to the plants will happen at a secret location.

But even if certain enthusiasts are able to attend an outdoor bonfire, they aren't likely to get much for their trouble, according to Solomon.

"The joke would be that people should stand downwind," Solomon said. "But the concentrations wouldn't be effective. All you'd get is a lung full of smoke, but it would be diluted because it mixes with the air and wouldn't be effective."

For now, police are busy getting a handle on the enormous size of their bust and cataloguing the evidence.

"They're in doing photographs and video and cataloguing the various pieces," said OPP superintendent Bill Crate. Samples are being taken in order to forensically determine that the plants are marijuana. Those few samples will then be presented as evidence.

"We're not going to take 30,000 plants into court with us," Crate said.
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Hmm, I guess you couldn't sell it to a pot legal country.

Comment

I hear the Canadian supplier of medicinal marijuana needs some better quality supply of raw material.

Comment

Dude!!!!

Yes, you can get very high standing downwind while the Cops burn it.
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R.
          I hear the Canadian supplier of medicinal marijuana needs some better quality supply of raw material.
          ROFL... was thinking the same thing

Comment

Well, if they can't decide what to do with it, I'm sure I could take care of it for them
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

You could feed it to billions of caterpillars, then feed the caterpillars to billions of chickens, and then feed the chickens to billions of people.

Comment

Originally posted by ALBPM
                Dude!!!!

Yes, you can get very high standing downwind while the Cops burn it.
                Not according to the article. You'd choke from the smkoe before you got even a little high.

Comment

Probably right. They wouldn't burn it nicely, they'd probably pour alot of fuel oil on it or something nasty like that.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                    You could feed it to billions of caterpillars, then feed the caterpillars to billions of chickens, and then feed the chickens to billions of people.
                    Then watch our food supply diminish cause of the munchies!!!
                    Titanium is the new bling!
                    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
                      Not according to the article. You'd choke from the smkoe before you got even a little high.
                      Ya right..... You weren't around in the 70's.....LOL
                      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I think they should put it all in brownie mix and sell it. For medicinal purposes only....LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X