Taxes... need to understand... canadians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, the joys of being self employed.
    there are a few ways to be self employed, and the taxation varies.
    the simplist is just setting yourself up as a small business/self employeed - you can even work under your own name this way.
    in this case you would submit your tax return once a year, when all taxes will be due - most ppl will pay installments through the year to lessen the impact. You are taxed at the same rate as a normal emplyee, except that you can submit expenses .
    You will need to also register to collect GST (goods and services tax) which you will have to charge your customer(s) and submit either quarterly or yearly depending on the amount collected.
    Then there are limited companies, and incorporated companies.
    either of these require you draw a salary from the company and require monthly tax submissions and a poo-poo load of paper work. They do have some tax beneifts (corporate tax rates are fixed at 22%) and liability limitations, but unless you are employeeing someone else, the self-employeed route is much easier to manage.
    be carefull though, as there are strict guidelines between being considered self-employeed and being an employee. some ppl try to save taxes by being self employeed, but are really just an employee of a company. If you are ever audited you will be liable for all back taxes plus a penalty.

FYI- personal taxes will vary from 0 to over 40%, depending on your income.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

The cemetary thing is a little different here, it's a family plot. And you actually buy it.

Remember that cremation is the go here, so you can have 4 or 5 generations in one plot.
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

thanx guys.... i think i am begining to get it abit.... will do some more reading and i hope youd be willing to answer somemore questions if i have any....
        "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

SD your moving to Quebec, which has a lot more taxes than the rest of Canada. I think the sales tax is around 15-16% there.

Plus you got your 'Welcome to Quebec' tax (not kidding) and the income tax which can go anywhere from 24 to 60% depending on how much you earn... the more you earn the more you get taxed.

/meow
          Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
          Asus Striker ][
          8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
          Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Taxes may be high in Quebec but the rent is generally cheaper, so it even's out in the end.

And for the taxes part, you get T4 slips for work and you can buy a 30$ tax program and file them online and get your tax return in about 24 to 48 hours, simple.
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
              Taxes may be high in Quebec but the rent is generally cheaper, so it even's out in the end.

And for the taxes part, you get T4 slips for work and you can buy a 30$ tax program and file them online and get your tax return in about 24 to 48 hours, simple.
              Not if he's an immigrant. he needs to mail 'em in.
              /meow
              Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
              Asus Striker ][
              8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
              Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Originally posted by lowlifecat
                Not if he's an immigrant. he needs to mail 'em in.
                Are you sure on that one ? Tough I think you need a permanent address for at least a year before using the net to send them.

@to SD if you can don't forget to take some REER, it will lower your oncome taxes, plus let you make money without having it taxed (not before you get it out at least).
                Athlon64 4800+
                Asus A8N deluxe
                2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                X-Fi Fatality
                HP w2207

Comment

REER?
                  "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Originally posted by SpiralDragon
                    REER?
                    You know.. that anal lubricant? So it won't hurt so bad when the government slips you that big fat one and takes all your cash.

Comment

ROFL

Comment

reer = rrsp = which means registered retirement saving plan

Sorry I gave you the french acronym.
                        Athlon64 4800+
                        Asus A8N deluxe
                        2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                        eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                        X-Fi Fatality
                        HP w2207

Comment

Working...
                        X