• This Could Happen to You at Jiffy Lube

RPG?

Comment

(RPG?)?

Comment

Rocket Propelled Grenade?

Comment

RPOF
          It's nothing new from Jiffy Lube. When I was working at dealerships we got 2-3/year that JL had put on the wrong oil filter, which would blow of soon after.
          I've never used JL and never plan to...
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Another goodie from that site:

Comment

We're dealing with the second tailgater (eating our bumper) in a year atm... sadly it's the other half dealing with it again. If I'd been there the unemployed arsewipe who was late for a job interview would have not only been late, but would have not made it at all that day

I remember one night (years ago) dealing with this one jackoff who found it necessary to ride my bumper so close there couldn't have been more than 6" between us... none of the normal tricks worked, so, 10' before were normal people would have stopped at the stop sign I hit the brakes and his pimped out Astro van's grill ate my bumper... no damage to my 240SX SE, but completely wiped out his grill and headlights... Then this BIG angery black man got out of the van yelling profanities when I asked him why he was bent on riding my arse dispite all the attempts to back him off... he spouted off some more. I calmly piped in with, well hey guy, wasn't riding your bumper nor was I going above or below the speed limit, actually I live right on the other end of this very block... why if you'd like to call the police (pointing in the direction of a store not 50' from where we stood) be my guest! Then announced I'm sure they will take my side... no indication of hard braking (lack of rubber on the road) and did indeed stop where you're suppose to...

He stomped off in a huff and left without incident

Damn tourists!
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Once, we were driving or '87 Volvo down an interstate doing about 10mph over the limit, slowly passing a semi.
                Apparently 10 over wasn't enough, a car drove up behind us really close.

So I stepped on the gas.
                This cause us to discover that our car had a problem that we did not know about.
                Oil had softened the air intake duct going from the air cleaner to the throttlebody.
                This caused the duct to collapse when I floored it.
                Which lead to the engine breathing all it's air through the only available source: the crank case ventilator ( and possibly the intake valve seals, and piston rings).

Think James Bond.
                Think smoke.
                Think lots and lots of smoke.

Which stopped as quickly as it began when I let off of the throttle and the duct re-opened.

The car slammed on it's brakes and never came within a quarter mile of us again.

To this day I'm sure they think we had some kind of smoke screen switch in our car.

We drove the rest of the way back to Oklahoma whistling the James Bond theme.

Price of a new duct: $28
                Time to install: 10 min.
                Years of marital laughter: priceless

Chuck

PS So as to keep the thread on track, I will admit that the oil that formed the smoke may have come from Jiffy Lube. I don't remember, but it's possible.

PPS But NOT Fast Lube.
                Last edited by cjolley; 19 May 2004, 06:48.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

I just called it Jiffy Lube for name recognition purposes. Actually, it was a place called Fast Lube. Apparently, they didn't correctly put on the oil filter.

Comment

I only use Jiffy Lube because my best friend works there and changes the oil for free. That and I know he's not dumb enough to blow up my car like most people that work there.
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

If it really was an oil change that did it, why did the guy keep driving with the oil light on?

On the other hand, Sears almost burned up my Lexus putting in a battery once.
                      Blew every single fuse in the car.
                      Took them half a day to get it working again and they still had to pay Lexus to reset the airbag computer.
                      So it can happen.

In fact, I wonder if the car in the link suffered a battery related problem after a battery change, and not an oil change.

Chuck
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

The oil pressure light wasn't necessarily on. The damage you see was from a fire from leaking oil. Apparently the oil filter wasn't tightened enough or the old gasket was left on. It doesn't take much oil pressure to keep the oil light from turning on.

Comment

Hands off Jiffy Lube. They help pay my salary
                          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

You must be an auto repairman...

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R.
                              The oil pressure light wasn't necessarily on. The damage you see was from a fire from leaking oil. Apparently the oil filter wasn't tightened enough or the old gasket was left on. It doesn't take much oil pressure to keep the oil light from turning on.
                              Ouchy!
                              chuck
                              Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X