• An interesting spinning ball interactive animation thingy

It may entertain you or make you yawn. Might even make you dizzy

BTW, anyone care to define "phong"

Comment

I just barfed on my computer.

Comment

Bummer!

Comment

Phong Shading is some kind of shading, I remember it was superior to goroud shading, but was never used in games because it was too slow.

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

In an ideal world (at least back in the '80s), you'd figure out the colour of a pixel in a polygon by calculating it's normal vector and applying your lighting model to it. Calculating a normal vector for every pixel is/was prohibitively expensive, so there are approximations to help.

Gouroud (sp?) shading: Calculate the normal vectors at the ends of each scanline on a polygon, calculate the colours at those endpoints, and interpolate the colour over the scanline.

Phong shading: Calculate the normal vectors at the scanline endpoints again, and interpolate the vector over the scanline, applying your lighting model as you go.

Obviously phong shading is much more expensive than gouroud, but the advantage it has is that highlights can appear within polygons, rather than just at the edges as in gouroud shading.

If I've confused anyone, this topic should be much better covered in any graphics book or tutorial.
            Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Az, why do you always answer the questions I know ?

Nicely made program....

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
                ....If I've confused anyone, this topic should be much better covered in any graphics book or tutorial.
                It's all completely more clear now, NOT.
                Last edited by SitFlyer; 20 May 2004, 13:08.

Comment

Originally posted by SitFlyer
                  It's all completely more clear now, NOT.
                  As I suspected If you've got access to any computer graphics books (look in a bookshop if nothing else), there should be a decent explanation in there. I'm afraid I couldn't find anything on the web which didn't start by throwing equations at you.
                  Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Simply: phong is the "shiny" white highlight on a sphere when represented in computer 3d graphics.... I think.
                    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

And Gnep wins,

From Max.

Phong shading smoothes the edges between faces and renders highlights realistically for shiny, regular surfaces.

If two polygons join at up to a 30% angle phong shading easily gives the impession of a curved surface, gouroud shading will display a definite edge.
                      Last edited by dbdg; 20 May 2004, 15:45.

Comment

Phong?
                        isn't that the skinny little bathing suit that doubles as butt-floss?
                        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

No, that's a shlong...

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R.
                            No, that's a shlong...
                            NO, no , no - a shlong is the male bit that goes inside or under the thong..........

people with a lisp will usually say phong when refering to a thong, no?
                            Last edited by LvR; 20 May 2004, 20:47.
                            Lawrence

Comment

Working...
                            X