Damn Insects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DGhost
    yeah... i am used to using earplugs to sleep... however... part of the problem with using ear plugs is that i am required to be alert and easily woken up most of the time i am sleeping outside...

oh, and there are a lot of noises ear plugs won't keep out... i've heard a few of the scarier ones...

Also it's not a good idea stuffing things in your ears. I tend to get fluid buildup if I use them too much.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

What about stuffing some plastic around the edges, eg to tighten its fit and dampen any clunks?

Comment

You could take a tube of industrial strength epoxy out there and glue it down. (do it at 3am so no one would know it was you.)

Comment

cement. lots of cement. or just steal the manhole cover.

re: earplugs, i use foam ones most of the time and have never really noticed fluid build up like with the plastic ones.
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I keep telling him to steal it..

What's under the cover, TP? is it a deep hole to get down into the sewers or is it just access to some stuff near the surface? If it is the latter, I concur with the cement option.. portland concrete actually.. in a dryer mix so it will set fast and hard. Then remove the cover and just pour the cement in.. replace the cover once you have enough concrete bulging out of the hole to make the cover stick down to it. Then just leave it to cure.. with luck, no one will find out what you did for awhile, and by then it will be too late.. BWAHAHAHAHA.

WTF, go ahead and do it.. life is too short to put up with this crap. Do it at 3am and you probably won't get caught.

Comment

heh... I was thinking more along the lines of that two part polyurethane packing foam... fill that puppy and let it rise!
              At least would cushon the noise and they'd have a big mess to cleanup ASAP
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Or just stick a piece of rubber under the clunking corner and get rid of the clunking... That's what I did...

Comment

I wouldn't... put a rubber under it and they may never repair
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Sadly I can't put anything over it as that would raise the road. The main problem is underneath as it's the frame thats rocking and until the temp repairs get worn away that won't be accessable.
                    I could try and seal the top cover that should reduce one clunk.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Holy thread jack batman.

I'd personally use some RTV on the thing.

Or some caulk.

SO yeah, about those bugs...i mean are they everywhere? Can you walk to your car w/o getting attacked?

Comment

They don't attack. The worst they do is think you're a tree and land on you, then start buzzing. No one is riding a motorcycle without a visor.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R.
                          They don't attack. The worst they do is think you're a tree and land on you, then start buzzing. No one is riding a motorcycle without a visor.
                          Oh I don't doubt that... got hit by a stray one once and bout knocked me off the bike... left a huge freakin welt too

Comment

Know a guy who was riding a motorbike in shorts and he had an encounter with a hornet. Was in hospital with morphine for several days. Yyyooouuuccchhh!
                            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Poor hornet. Did he sue for damages?
                              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Oy! Anaphylactic shock sure sucks

Had a wasp fly down my shirt once stinging to crap out of my lower back while traveling through a major 5 way intersection. Bet everyone thought I freaking out on drugs or something... gladly am not all that alergic to stings.
                                Last edited by Greebe; 2 June 2004, 01:10.

Comment

Working...
                                X