No announcement yet.

A Rail gun is in the works!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup....GPS guided the shells are indeed. Gives a whole new meaning to the idea of "nowhere to hide"

Then you also have the project where they want to put tungsten projectiles in orbit to be GPS guided. No explosives necessary since they'll also be impacting hypersonically just using their re-entry velocities. Might be the ultimate bunker-busters.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Tungsten? As in the metal used for filaments in light bulbs? I remember seeing a documentary in school which said that at the current rate of consumption, known worldwide tungsten reserves would be exhausted by something like the year 2030. Now I saw that video about 15 years ago. Has something changed?
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

hmm, dunno. might be a bit sooner, as the military *loves* its tungsten carbide armor piercing rounds. mmm, warm fuzzies...
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
          Tungsten? As in the metal used for filaments in light bulbs? I remember seeing a documentary in school which said that at the current rate of consumption, known worldwide tungsten reserves would be exhausted by something like the year 2030. Now I saw that video about 15 years ago. Has something changed?
          Who knows how much is left? It probably doesn't matter if there's a military use for it. (it's hard and dense, so perfect for a high speed projectile)

- Steve

edit: sorry - forgot to mention the extremely high melting point - hence its use as light bulb filaments.
          Last edited by spadnos; 2 August 2004, 11:36.

Comment

And that hardness and high melting point would allow the projectile to penetrate further before vaporizing.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
            X