• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carmack crashes and burns

Well his rocket did anyway.

Movie

Full Story

P.S. You've been Spanked!

He was expecting to lose several vehicles leading up to a successful spaceflight.

This is part of that process.
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I'm SO disappointed.....NOT!!!!

I'm a Rutan man

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I'm sorry K6-III but reading that was like envisioning a comedy. He made so many DUMB mistakes it's not funny.

another man with more money than brains

Go Burt Go!
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

At least he's enjoying himself.
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe

Well defenently not a rocket sci. but sure as hell a good coder
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I'm sorry K6-III but reading that was like envisioning a comedy. He made so many DUMB mistakes it's not funny.

Go Burt Go!
              lol he's a pretty smart programmer i'd say lol...

Comment

No burning.. just crashing. Dumb looking design.. no fins even. I woulda built a V2 replica or something. That's what Bugs Bunny did.

Comment

you mean like this one :
                  Network Solutions - Original domain name registration and reservation services with variety of internet-related business offerings. Quick, dependable and reliable.
                  We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Yeah, DUMB mistakes. What moron he is. You know, because you could build a rocket.

Examples of dumb mistakes?

Comment

Yeah how many here have made a liquid fuel rocket? I have. How many coders have, not a one.

Not paying attention to how much fuel was left while the clock was running was dumb and a wasteful mistake. Testing without a solid data link was another brain cell that misfired.

Just because you can code doesn't make you GOD of all things or even one, stop treating him as such...

Hey ya'll whine when the goody two shoes of Hollywood stick their noses into what goes on in Washington, expect the same when some gameboy with an over inflated ego fails in his attempt.. oh I'm sure he'll eventually succeed if enough money and perseverance is there to see it through.
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Not if he dissolves into atoms duing one of the test flights

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Making a liquid rocket is incredibly complicated. While Carmack's use of a mono-propellant simplifies the rocket greatly, it does not make it easy to do by any means. As for lack of experience, he has more experience with building actual hardware than most professional aerospace engineers that work on rocket design.

As for bi-propellant work, that is much more complicated with a necessary design for an injector and usually a requirement for regenerative cooling.

Carmack has chosen to not use fins to reduce drag. The vehicle flies unstable, but is maintained in the proper heading under powered flight via Carmack's software. It is a design tradeoff that could potentially pay off for him. (I don't know that I would go that route)
                          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X