Here we go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KvHagedorn

BTW, I see George W. is not making Dad's mistake of delaying aid due to red tape just before an election. That was one of GHW's stupidest moments. He delayed aid for 4 days after Andrew hit because the Governor of Florida failed to present him with the request in writing, as prescribed by law. What a fool.
    Well, it's all in the family, now! (Hey, bro! Can you channel a few zillion, my way?)

Seriously, our prayers for Greebe seem to have been answered, as it seems that the landfall was nearer Ft Myers than where it was initially expected. Nevertheless, he must have had quite some weather, even on the edge.

I've never experienced really extreme weather but, about 1960, I was visiting the nuke plant at Windscale in Cumbria for a project and stayed at the Seascale Hotel, a stone-built two-storey building on the cliffs overlooking the Irish Sea. One night there was a massive storm with estimated winds of 120 mph. The whole building rocked and I must admit to some angst. The following morning, there wasn't a standing tree in sight and the nearby village of Gosforth was practically devastated, with not a single roof left. Nothing like Charley, of course, but bad enough.

Anyway, Greebe, I hope all is OK.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Everything is fine here, to be honest hardly worth mentioning because of the course Charley took.

The storm didn't start turning like they predicted, but it was well within the projected area it could have hit. I hardly fault any forecaster/meteorologists for what did happen.

Couple of contractor friends have been calling. Think they need my help rebuilding down south.

Oh the flipside to all this is today's weather is suppose to be with stronger winds and alot more rain than we ended up with yesterday, go figure
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Any Data Mike??? Wind Speeds, rainfall???
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

think the winds peaked at about 30knots, rain maybe 12mm

Ft. Myers/Punta Gorda got nailed tho... winds 140mph.. dunno about rainfall

Most people evcuated to Orlando and that where it went while crossing the state... 105 mph winds there

There were also several tornado's couple around the Lakeland, Sebring and north of Tampa

Ft. Myers
          Punta Gorda
          Orlando here and here
          Last edited by Greebe; 14 August 2004, 04:50.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Glad to hear that you're OK
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Glad you're okay greebe. Is it safe to assume my buddy in Clearwater would be okay too? He's about 35 miles north of you.
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Where's Liz and how is she?

Comment

she's moved into her new place, doing fine.

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                    Glad you're okay greebe. Is it safe to assume my buddy in Clearwater would be okay too? He's about 35 miles north of you.
                    Yeah he's fine... nothing hit up that way

Comment

Uggg here comes another...

Comment

Has anyone heard from Denty?

Comment

Greebe,

For what it's worth I am glad to hear that you faired better than you thought you might. Hopefully this new one will miss you too.

Joel
                          Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

It has been a while since Denty last posted..almost a month

Comment

Working...
                            X