L8R vs. L8ER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L8R vs. L8ER

Ok, havent' posted here in a long time but i know this a good community for this kind of discussion, so here goes:

Me and my friend have be having an argument for many years about this, and i want to know what other opinions are about it.

I'm not even gonna tell you who believes what but here are the two arguments:

L8ER - should = L EIGHT ER, because there is no E pronouced at the end of EIGHT.

L8R - should = L ATE R so it spells out to be right, plus it's shorter and the whole point of a chat short cut is to type the least amount possible and still get your point across.

What do you think!??!
    L8R
    0%
    L8ER
    0%

ate and eight sound the same phonetically and the 'e' in later is pretty much silent. Thus l8r would sound the same as l8er when spoken in the American English dialect, and thereby giving it the net sp34k acronym "l8r".

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

l8r d00dz
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I think that unless you're sending an SMS, where letter count matters, then you look stupid using either one.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

True, i guess you could just type later - but you could also type laugh out loud... but no one does...

I realize it's saving a lot more keystrokes to type LOL vs. Laugh out Loud, but it still saves 2 w/ L8R and 1 with L8ER....

Comment

l8r of course, l8er is ridicoulous. You don't need the "e", it comes either cause it is not easy to say "t"+"r" with at least a bit of an "e" in there anyway (as long as you end at "r", so not "tractor". Otherwise, "er" is how you pronounce the letter "r" anyway.
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

The poll neds an option for "Niether, 'leet speek' is for twits".
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

"Niether"?

Edit: uhm, that was intended, was not it?
                edit 2: Sh1t, now I'm a fool either way
                Last edited by Umfriend; 10 September 2004, 09:52.
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                  I think that unless you're sending an SMS, where letter count matters, then you look stupid using either one.
                  www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Originally posted by acobra
                    True, i guess you could just type later - but you could also type laugh out loud... but no one does...

I realize it's saving a lot more keystrokes to type LOL vs. Laugh out Loud, but it still saves 2 w/ L8R and 1 with L8ER....
                    The 8 is more of a reach, and is slower for most touch typers than "later."
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Shouldn't the second choice be L83R

Or even "183R"?

Chuck
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Yeah I gotta agree with Wombat. Typing l8r takes me more time than typing later. And l8r does look quite stupid.

Comment

Another vote for the correct spelling. Anyone who touch types would probably be quicker without hitting the number row.

Even with SMS, you have to switch from letter to number mode to type L8R (unless you're using a blackberry or something with a full keyboard), so it's just easier to type it correctly.
                          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Even arguing about this sounds a bit anal to me

Dr. Mordrid
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I think the real argument here is do we use sms shorthand or type in full?

My last phone (NEC E808) had a full qwerty keyboard so it was easiest to type proper english, apart from common shortcuts like 'gonna' and 'prolly'. I always seemed to run up against the length-limit with that phone!

My new phone (LG U8110) has T9 predictive text input, so full english is the only real option, and it is quick.

l8rs d00dz
                              FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X