205 mph...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 205 mph...

is the new Minnesota record for a speeding ticket, and 140 mph over the posted limit;

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Stupidity.
    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.
      Unless?????

Chuck
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
        Unless?????

Chuck
        I saw that and laughed
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."

Comment

Saw that yesterday. Hey, if you wanna do 205mph* on a relatively empty road, go for it. You know the consequences, and you can only really hurt yourself.

*as indicated by eye and stopwatch

Comment

Kooldino: At 205MPH how do you know the road is empty (and for how long)?
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Paddy, never watched knight rider??

Comment

diddle-lum, diddle-lum, diddle-diddle-diddle-lum
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                    205 mph = about 300 fps, or just below the velocity of an arrow launched by a compound bow with a 100 lb pull (max I've seen = 330 fps).

It's also just about half the muzzle velocity of a .38 S&W handgun round (660 fps).

During a race I've driven at about 185 mph on a long straight, and at these velocities tunnel vision is very much a factor. On a race track it's less a problem because you're basically driving IN a tunnel, but on the road it means you have NO WAY to see side streets or other places where a potential impactor could come from.

In short: S.T.U.P.I.D.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 September 2004, 11:45.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                      There are some places up north (Montana anyone? where there is no speed limit.

Fastest I've had a bike is 155mph, tunnel vision is a real issue. Where I was tho there were no side roads and traffic was clear cept one car going westbound. I think the driver & passenger got whiplash when I flew past going east bound.
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                        Saw that yesterday. Hey, if you wanna do 205mph* on a relatively empty road, go for it. You know the consequences, and you can only really hurt yourself.

*as indicated by eye and stopwatch
                        Yes but some dumb **** would try and sue someone for being allowed to do it.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
                          Paddy, never watched knight rider??
                          Ah, our famous crazy swede!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                            205 mph = about 300 fps, or just below the velocity of an arrow launched by a compound bow with a 100 lb pull (max I've seen = 330 fps).

It's also just about half the muzzle velocity of a .38 S&W handgun round (660 fps).

During a race I've driven at about 185 mph on a long straight, and at these velocities tunnel vision is very much a factor. On a race track it's less a problem because you're basically driving IN a tunnel, but on the road it means you have NO WAY to see side streets or other places where a potential impactor could come from.

In short: S.T.U.P.I.D.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Indeed!

Comment

I have a video of some guy on a modified Suzuki Hyabusa. He does a wheelie up to 140mph, then guns it up to 240 mph. It is a very straight empty stretch of road, but at that speed, everything just becomes a blur. If even a small bunny rabbit were to jump out in his path, he'd end up just a long red stain on the road.

If you have a need to drive that fast, there are plenty of racetracks that will let you do laps for a small fee. I recommend the use of appropriately armoured leathers.
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                              X