Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's erupting NOW

Comment

That'd explain why the webcam link went dead.

Comment

Tiny eruption ended

Comment

Annoyingly enough, even the links to the real time seismographs I had been monitoring appear to have been destroyed (by the internet traffic that is.)
          Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 1 October 2004, 12:44.

Comment

They're having a harmonic tremor within the mountain right now

Comment

Yeppers, my "real-time" links are recovering from the inital hit, should be intersting to see what happens. Watching a live web TV feed, they're about to do an interview with a USGS guy.

Comment

They had a helicopter flying near it doing an IR scan when it erupted and it appears there asn't any high temperature activity, just a steam explosion with a little ash.

They also had a crew on the other side of the mountain when it erupted, but they were ok (other than rather shaken I'm sure.)

Comment

Well, it quieted down for a bit but the quakes are starting back up, looks like it's not quite finished.

The long sustained signal just after 12:00 PDT is the steam eruption:

Interesting that the sensor that's actually in the crater held out during the eruption only to malfunction or something a few hours later. It's still working a bit though, the strongest post-eruption quakes still register on it a little:

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
                    LOL, I remember calling those first Hyundai's 'how-u-wanna-die's',
                    with the brake springs that would let go and lock up a rear wheel while driving.
                    ROTFLMAO
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

If it's not right erupting right at this moment, it'll be doing it very soon, the quakes have changed into a constant tremor, right after noon PDT again too:

Comment

Stupid volcano, I said erupt, damn you! Only thing that happened was a little puff of something on the east side of the crater, and that was probably just a landslide or a gust of wind kicking up dust. It's a good bet magma is moving under there somewhere though, tremors like that rarely mean anything else.

[edit] Apparently there was a little steam emission, the web cam didn't catch it when I was looking I guess, but I did see the landslide afterwards.
                        Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 2 October 2004, 14:31.

Comment

Scientists: St. Helens Eruption Imminent

Comment

Yup....it's up to "major eruption" now. Guess I'll have to give Margie's uncle a call and see if he regrets retiring from the Navy yet

Dr. Mordrid
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Well it erupted yesterday and no one noticed or where they doing action replays on the web cam????
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

They don't count anymore until it really explodes or lava oozes out.

Comment

Working...
                                X