No announcement yet.

Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have been to Japan only twice but an immensely interesting and beautiful (in parts) country, with fabulous food. One highlight was that MITI (as it then was) laid on a traditional banquet for our party in Kyoto, with entertainment and service by about 20 maiko (like the "apprentice geisha" above).

However, I found discussions rather difficult at times as 'hai' means 'yes' but it also means 'I've heard what you are saying, but don't necessarily agree with you' or even 'no'!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Sadly Brian, I suspect there aren't even 20 maiko left in Japan.

I suspect when(if) I have children they will never see a maiko, let alone a Geisha
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Yeah, I did hear that MITI had just about collared the lot for our evening and that was 12 or 14 years ago. Never saw a geisha, though. On my other visit, we stayed in a traditional ryokan in Kyoto and our landlady hired a maiko for an hour's entertainment. They are quite something.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Nice pictures, hope the trip also was great!

Originally posted by Lizzard[MPE]
          the Gates of Hell happen to be around the corner from where dan lives...
          Is this the gate by Rodin ('La porte d'enfer') ?
          If so, this is strange: I saw it in Paris...

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Wow! Nice pics. Japan is in my all time top three places to visit
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

the gates of hell are a commision of the original artwork, they were commisioned over 110 years ago or so.
              They are situated at the international Art museum in Todai (Tokyo University) which is the top public uni in Japan - though a few in Kyoto/osaka might argue with me.

We stayed 2 nights in a ryokan in kyoto, but were kicked out by the third night due to a school trip booking (poor land landy had 100 14/15 yo boys and girls to deal with)

You can see the few last remaining geisha at Gion in Kyoto on their way to work, though they tend to move quickly as everyone takes pics of them.
              Last edited by Sasq; 28 September 2004, 05:33.
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Great pics Liz!!

Domo arigato for sharing.
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Nice pics, Lizzie!

I also had a great time on my trip to Japan...Yakushima Island was quite something
                  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Hey Liz, got any pics of Dan wearing other funny looking hats? :P

Comment

Japan is the most foreign country that I've ever visited; fascinating to a Gaiji.
                      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
                        Japan is the most foreign country that I've ever visited; fascinating to a Gaiji.
                        Hehe, USA is the most foreign country I have ever been too.

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                          Hey Liz, got any pics of Dan wearing other funny looking hats? :P
                          Hey, give the man a break. We have all gotten trashed and wound up wearing silly hats to appease our boss's kids at one point in time or another... right?

ermmm...

maybe i should just be quiet now :P
                          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

lol no, dan made sure he wasnt wearing any hats on this trip
                            www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

this was the ryokan we stayed at in Kyoto. very cool place
                              Attached Files
                              www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

butterfly on a flower
                                Attached Files
                                www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Working...
                                X