Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Older than Dirt!

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
    I might be older than dirt but those memories are the best part of my life.
    If that's true, it's one of the saddest things I've ever heard.. and the writer doesn't even seem to realize it!

Comment

Originally posted by degrub
      23/25 .

....still shakin the dirt off my boots
      Ditto ... missed #1 and #8. Blackjack chewing gum sounds familiar but I don't quite recall it. Perhaps it was regional.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
        Only 7 and I'm 36. I think more are USA specific than Brian thinks.

It was nearly 8, but our glass milk bottles always had foil tops.
        Foil tops came in during the 1950s in the UK. Before that, they were waxed cardboard tops with a perforated circle in the middle that you were supposed to be able to press down to get a finger-grip to pull the top off. As often as not, the whole cardboard top would splooch into the milk, which would splash over a radius of 1 m. The only thing that could penetrate the circle with precision was the beak of a blue tit, which would such up the cream (this, of course, was when milk was milk, unhomogenised and unpasteurised, but delicious, not like the rubbish sold in cartons and plastic bottles today). I also remember when cheese was cheese and not the plasticised, tasteless, factory-made garbage that passes for cheese today (exception: some Swiss cheeses are still made with unprocessed milk. If you can find it, try some Etivaz. This is a Gruyère-style cheese, made in Alpine chalets by the traditional method; a thin sliver releases an explosion of Alpine meadow flavours).
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

One is as young as he does not remember.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
            I wouldn't use the word evolve. Things change, but not necessarily for the better.
            Just to brush up on my English: Do you mean that the word evolve is only used for improvements? I thought it was neutral (in the sense that it doesn't imply positive or negative changes)...

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Well, it has a more positive connotation. Such as "humans evolved from the apes" (as though humans really are any better..) Seems to me to connote something that moves toward a more perfect state.

Comment

Well, we learn something everyday... In Dutch the word can be used for both positive and negative changes (most commonly for positive changes though).

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

VJ the meaning is neutral(ish) basic meaning is just to change to suit ones environment better
                  Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                    Foil tops came in during the 1950s in the UK. Before that, they were waxed cardboard tops with a perforated circle in the middle that you were supposed to be able to press down to get a finger-grip to pull the top off. As often as not, the whole cardboard top would splooch into the milk, which would splash over a radius of 1 m. The only thing that could penetrate the circle with precision was the beak of a blue tit, which would such up the cream (this, of course, was when milk was milk, unhomogenised and unpasteurised, but delicious, not like the rubbish sold in cartons and plastic bottles today). I also remember when cheese was cheese and not the plasticised, tasteless, factory-made garbage that passes for cheese today (exception: some Swiss cheeses are still made with unprocessed milk. If you can find it, try some Etivaz. This is a Gruyère-style cheese, made in Alpine chalets by the traditional method; a thin sliver releases an explosion of Alpine meadow flavours).
                    unhomogenised and unpasteurised products sometimes kill people
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                      unhomogenised and unpasteurised products sometimes kill people
                      Pasteurisation may kill some naughty microorganisms, but homogenisation never saved a life since it was invented, All it does is to break up the fat globules into a suspension. However, whenever I can, I'll eat/drink dairy products as God intended us to enjoy the taste. and not rubbishy factory-made apologies of them. I'll take the infinitismally tiny risk of dying from listeria: the risk of being crushed by a satellite falling from the sky is much greater. May God preserve us from politicians who try to dictate what we are supposed to eat!
                      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
                      X