No announcement yet.

Any good deer sausage or jerky recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good deer sausage or jerky recipes?

A friend of mine bagged a nice sized buck and gave me the meat ('prox' 50 lbs). I cut the backstraps into steaks and the haunches into cubes for stews & chili. Now I'd like to sausage out most of the rest (12 lbs) and jerk what's left (5-6 lbs).

This is some of the sweetest venison I've ever tasted. Not wild or gamy tasting at all. I don't know who's farm it was taken from, but I'm willing to bet this animal was corn-fed. Even my wife who hates venison had to admit it was pretty good.

So, does anyone have any good sausage or jerky recipes they're willing to share? (bearing in mind I don't have a smoker, unless I build one using the instructions here ).

Kevin

can't spell worth a damn today.

you'll need to mix it with beef or pork as venison is very lean and wont stick to anything by itself. My mom used to make it every years as my dad is/was a butcher during hunting season and we always got meat from customers. I'll see what I can get for recipes in the next day or 2.
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Most folks around here use a 50/50 mix of venison and ground pork. That's a lot of pork.

Kevin

Comment

I wonder if you could make a leaner sausage with ground deer meat and olive oil..

Comment

next time I'm talking to my nieghbours I'll ask.
          I've tried some caribou sausauge of theirs and I thought it was great. I would think deer would be fairly close preperation wise.
          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
          X