The Two Wheeled Menance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Two Wheeled Menance

Decided to take a walk in the Goyt Valley near Buxton in the dark peak.

Nice place loads of different paths to walk around and very scenic at times.

The weather forgot to be nice and it was dull and miserable like the few people I met who were walking their dogs just before nine.

Anyway I was greeted by the noise of off road motorbikes running around the hills. Nice wake up call for the few poeple that live there. They must find it really annoying but I suppose they don't count.

The first group disappeared but was followed by another twenty minutes or so later. Another ten minutes of racket before they went then peace returned.

Found another new path and left the damns and went up into the woods. Nice to be able to do that after a few weeks of back trouble.

Walked along this path said good morning to another walker she pulled a face and grunted. Miserable twat.

Carried on then the sound of the off road bikers echoed round the hills behind me. The noise grew rapidly I looked at the path and decided it was a good time to get of it. Just in time. Seconds later at fairly high speed a group of off road bikers slid by. If I had stayed on the path I'd have been hit. Luckily I had no children with me as they would have found it an terrifying experiance.

The bikers disappeared coming off the path and riding along the embankments after crossing a road before riding through the car park.

I dropped back down to the dams and looking at the verges discovered that these too had been used by off road bikers as had areas set aside for people to sit. This left the obivous question where was safe to walk or sit?

At least now it was quiet with surprising few people around. I sat looking across the dam the place amazingly peaceful in complete contrast to to the racket minutes before.

Another group off road bikers appeared riding more slowly along the road at least and disappeared into the distance possibly looking for their mates or just another group deciding which footpath to take.

The noise and the lack of safety considerations by these poeple left me thinking the Government with have to eventually ban the sale of such bikes.

It's questionable whether most are road legal as the number plates are often almost invisable or missing altogether.

No doubt the riders suffer from the same ignorance as there fellow two wheel companions the cyclist. Believing the everywhere is there for there own use only and they have the sole right to it.

Sadly it's getting harder for the walker to have a nice relaxing day in the country side. You're either jumping out of the way of racing cyclists or jumping out of the way motorised breed. A case of the few bringing a bad name to the many.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Bloody cyclists! Next time take a rocket launcher.

Comment

PIT
        It's questionable whether most are road legal as the number plates are often almost invisable or missing altogether.
        You need a road legal bike for the highway only, if your off road in a field you need no licence.

Look closely and you'll probably see that they are trials bikes.

One thing your right about motorbikes should not be allowed on this type of public right of way.

Breezer
        Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Originally posted by breezer
          You need a road legal bike for the highway only, if your off road in a field you need no licence.

Look closely and you'll probably see that they are trials bikes.

One thing your right about motorbikes should not be allowed on this type of public right of way.

Breezer
          Yes but most of these bikes use public roads to get to A to B. I see one every day going to work. Number plate on the front none on the rear which I'm pretty sure is illegal in this country.
          Certainly some will use a trailer but a lot use the public road.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

In Denmark this is easy: All access to public or private owned forest and nature areas are walking only. This include roads.

All exceptions are clearly marked as such.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

I'll quote one ignarantus on that. "I can ride where I like"
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

nothing a well placed stick in the spokes wont fix.
                just run away quickly.
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Well I think in a confrontation, if need be, my heavy walking boots can re-arrange a certain a part of the body quite well.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                  X