• Show
Clear All

• The King Is Dead

And no visible successor.

Johnny Carson RIP

Kevin

Comment

RIP, Johnny, and thank you for the years and decades of laughter
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Comment

While he technically has a successor in Jay Leno and later Conan O'Brian, he definitely does not have one that can match his unique character and comedic sensibilities.

His presence will be missed.
          “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I was just about to post this. My first reaction when I saw the headline was that I called out "Oh my G*d!" Next, I came here to post. I had just read in the past few days that Mr. Carson sent in monologue jokes all the time to David Letterman and many would be used. Mr. Carson had always kept up with the latest news and couldn't help but see humour in it and had to pass it on. RIP to one of the top TV legends.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Nobody, but NOBODY, could do a monologue like Johnny Carson. I'd stay up late just to see that first 15 minutes, even if I had an early schedule.

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Damn, very sad

When I was 16-20, I'd watch him every night religiously. Once Leno took over I lost interest. Thanks for the great times Mr. Carson. RIP
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

It was pretty strange when he retired.. he had been there the first 30 years of my life. Really an icon.. it's a word that's overused, but this guy really was.

Comment

I still have my VCR tape of the last airing of the "Tonight Show". I should burn that to DVD for posterity.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I have many fond memories of Carson. It's sad to see him go.

As for successors ... Letterman still should have taken over for Carson. I've never really liked Leno.
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I remember the old episode where he threw a tomahawk (native American battle axe) at a 2D-man target. Damned thing stuck in its crotch in such a way that it looked like a huge erection

My dad and I laughed so hard we almost broke our ribs. Gawd....I loved the old live TV days.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 January 2005, 12:36.
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                          ... Damned thing stuck in its crotch in such a way that it looked like a huge erection ...
                          Funny ... I never clued in on that. I just reacted to its unfortunate target.

We could run a thread forever recounting the funniest moments from Carson. I still love to watch clips from when Dom, Burt, and Johnny were going at it with whipped cream cans (sounds kinda kinky when you put it that way ).
                          Last edited by xortam; 24 January 2005, 13:37.

Comment

I remember when a drunk Dean Martin kept flicking cigarette ashes into George Gobel's drink while the latter had his back turned talking to Carson. He actually drank it and no one said anything to him. Everyone seemed to think that was really funny.. just made me think what an ****ole Dean was and how I would cave his face in if I caught him doing that to my drink. :barf:

Comment

Tonight, Jay Leno is dedicating the Tonight Show to Johnny.
                              His guests will be Bob Newhart, Don Rickles and Ed McMahon.
                              I'm sure there will be many fond memories and clips shared. I'll be watching...
                              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                              X