Anatomy for beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anatomy for beginners

Did anybody see that? (The first part was shown on C4 at 11.05 last night in the UK. Part 2 is tonight at 11).

I thought it was fascinating...they actually stripped a hanging cadaver of its skin (the subject had volunteered for this when alive) and showed the operation of muscles, tendons etc, and then removed the entire spinal column following a path down to the toes. It wasn't really gory, but I doubt they could have shown it any earlier!

They took sections of the (actually a formaline-prepared) brain and showed various structures. It was amazing to learn just how delicate the brain really is, the consistency of blancmange apparently. They demonstrated by dropping a set blancmange from a few feet onto the floor, and it of course splattered - it is amazing to think we are able to keep our brains pretty much in one piece for so many years.

As an aside, without skin it is quite clear why we call them 'dangly bits'!

I think tonights episode will concentrate on the major organs. There is also a third part, presumably tomorrow.
    FT.

I used to have a video of an autopsy, pretty interesting stuff. Plus it had a little bit on embalming too.

Comment

um.. I was eating.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
        um.. I was eating.
        LMAO

"Was" is the keyword
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
          um.. I was eating.
          Perhaps the title was too subtle and should be appended with **not for those with vivid imaginations or weak stomachs**
          FT.

Comment

Fat Tone, no matter how much warnings you give, there will still be someone complaining
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

This topic seems vaguely related to Brian's topic on Cock-a-leeky and cows guts.

Comment

Spot on Brian!

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

some of the emergency medical training i've had is pretty cool. i'm not one for gore, but when you look at just how mechanical the human body is you definately have to be impressed.
                  "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
                  X