Bluer-finger of freedom....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluer-finger of freedom....

Let's not turn this into the usual arguement, but instead let's celebrate the courage of the Iraqi people.

No matter how you felt about the start of the war todays high turnout (60% - 65%) and emotional response by the Iraqis has to tug at your heart.

They defied terrrorists, car and suicide bombs, snipers and all manner of threats in order to do something most of us take for granted: voting.

Hats off to the old ladies who had to be carted to the polls, the women who carried their children through the gauntlet and the old men who, after voting, held their blue-inked fingers aloft while tears streamed down their faces.

Here's to turning a blue-inked finger into an international sign of freedom.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 January 2005, 15:00.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

It's not often I agree with you, but now I do. Let's hope the best comes of it and they really can enjoy freedom, peace and relative prosperity soon.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Re: Bluer-finger of freedom....

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
      Let's not turn this into the usual arguement, but instead let's celebrate the courage of the Iraqi people.

No matter how you felt about the start of the war todays high turnout (60% - 65%) and emotional response by the Iraqis has to tug at your heart.

Dr. Mordrid
      It does tug at mine. I've been following the news out there since the beginning of their election process and they have much courage to do what they did. 65% is a big number considering the situation.

Freedom to all Iraqi's!

Freedom!!!
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Comment

I'm amazed and impressed at the high voter turnout.

Comment

Yep

HBFD Iraq!
            P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I for one hope this shows why the rest of us, who have the option to do so, should never take our voting rights for granted.

Tug at the heart it does.
              “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I was amazed to find out that the % of people voted surpassed expectations.

It's nice to see a glimmer of light at the end of this long and horrific tunnel.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Not to be a total ass and piss on this parade...

This is definately a day to remember. This day has been a long time coming. It has only been by the sacrifice of good men and women of all countries, the sacrifice of people who never swore an oath and never chose to be involved in this war.

On this day people were able to stand up for themselves again and make themselves heard. Those who fight to destroy this right have failed to prevent the people from doing it. The Iraqi people are strong and proud, and do not cower in fear nearly as much as the media seems to indicate that they do.

Let this stand as a beacon of hope to all people, no matter what ethnicity or how bleak their lifes are, that there are those in this world who are willing to stand up and fight for them so that they might have the same chance of life as everyone else.
                  "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Chalk one up for the good guys. Hats off to you Iraq!
                      Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                        Not to be a total ass and piss on this parade...
                        I don't believe anyone here would think that of the post that followed. Well said.
                        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

And don't Forget!!!!

Thanks DGhost, for doing your part to help make it happen!!!
                          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote:
                              Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong Terror

WASHINGTON, Sept. 3-- United States officials were surprised and heartened today at the size of turnout in South Vietnam's presidential election despite a Vietcong terrorist campaign to disrupt the voting.

According to reports from Saigon, 83 per cent of the 5.85 million registered voters cast their ballots yesterday. Many of them risked reprisals threatened by the Vietcong.

The size of the popular vote and the inability of the Vietcong to destroy the election machinery were the two salient facts in a preliminary assessment of the nation election based on the incomplete returns reaching here.

A successful election has long been seen as the keystone in President Johnson's policy of encouraging the growth of constitutional processes in South Vietnam.

The purpose of the voting was to give legitimacy to the Saigon Government.

by Peter Grose, Special to the New York Times -- Sept. 4, 1967

At the close of the Constitutional Convention, a woman asked Benjamin Franklin what type of government the Constitution was bringing into existence.
                              Franklin replied, “A republic, if you can keep it.”
                              I wish them well, but the odds are not in thier favor.
                              chuck
                              Last edited by cjolley; 1 February 2005, 08:59.
                              Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X