Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ads

Hey guys,
    posting here so at least most of you take notice.

Knowing how much we all enjoy banner ads et al...

and knowing that banner ads haven't worked in the past...

I am just toying - and I mean only toying with the idea, of maybe giving the google ad system a go.
    thinking of a nice little unobtrusive bar somewhere on the page, with pc revelvent ads.

Ads are pay per click. Thinking hopefully I can narrow down the ads to at least be relevent to us.

Don't get me wrong, the fund raisers help a great deal, but it still doesn't fully cover the cost of running Murc.

Feedback, ideas, sugestions (preferably anatomically possible) greatly appreciated
    As long as they are unobtrusive - ok
    0%
    No way, keep murc ad free
    0%
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

any unobtrusive ads that won't stall the page loading or try to perform spyware/adware-esque techniques is fine by me

Comment

Just to make it clear btw, I am refering to the google text based ads only. no gfx banners.
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

No way, please. MURC forums are already far too slow to load (considerably worse since the last server change, btw) for us poor buggers condemned to narrow band.

I can't even help with the Server Campaign as PayPal will not accept an a/c or credit card from this country (they're a bunch of rogues, anyway)

Sorry, Sasq
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Looks like we posted at the same time there brian... read my above. also check the mail I am about to send.
          Juu nin to iro

Comment

I like what dZeus said.
            Nothing is getting cheaper these days except for my paycheck, so you have to do what you have to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
              No way, please. MURC forums are already far too slow to load (considerably worse since the last server change, btw) for us poor buggers condemned to narrow band.

I can't even help with the Server Campaign as PayPal will not accept an a/c or credit card from this country (they're a bunch of rogues, anyway)

Sorry, Sasq
              Foriegn cheques are fine too.
              Usually there is a one week hold till they clear, and a small fee ($3-5).
              Mail Sasq a cheque and I'll send you a keyfob

I still have 3 or 4 left by the way, if anyone is interested.
              - anyone that is waiting for one (Ant and Jester), I am mailing them out tommorrow.Sorry for the delay, but I've finally got a break from work projects.

@Sasq - what Dzeus said.
              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I'm OK with the google ads.
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Wouldn't worry me, anything that could help out sasq has to be good.

edit: how far off are the fund raisers? if we are almost there (within 25% I'd rather we just donate a little more)

btw, just make a small deposit. oops
                  Last edited by dbdg; 20 February 2005, 10:08.

Comment

I'm OK with the google ads - the text based ones on other sites are generally unobtrusive and relevant-ish enough.

But this also reminds me - haven't done the money thing in a while - is there anyone in the UK collating funds (don't have a paypal account)? Happy to do a bank transfer to another UK-er so we get a larger sum across to Dan.
                    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

As unobtrusive as they are, Google ads would be perfectly fine. The site has to make money to pay for itself, which the server fund has done well at helping with, but there does need to be more. I think it's unreasonable for us as members to expect one person to bear the brunt of the financial burden.
                      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

well the link at the top still goes unto Ant for now.

Paypal will now accept CC without joining btw.

my cc able paypal account is dan @ sasqs dot com

As for the server fund, the fobs have covered more or less 6 months server - few ancillary costs like vbb licence.

Server is just over $600USD a year. A small percentage of the server I use for personal use and an Australian minority community site.
                        plus other fees like the licence etc.

All up MURC runs to (atm) $800ish a year by the time you add in my phone calls for support etc.
                        Juu nin to iro

Comment

Google ads sound perfectly acceptable.

Comment

If going for adds, I came across this website for enhancing your returns using google adsense.

dshumake

Comment

As long as they are unobtrusive

Comment

Working...
                              X