The New Ten Commandments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Ten Commandments

I've been following with some interest the controversy over displaying the Ten Commandments in U.S. Government buildings. Personally I don't care if they're displayed, but I wonder how you'd decide which version to display - Catholic, Protestant, or Hebrew (which IIRC is shared by Islam)?

Since it appears to be chiefly the references to God that those opposed object to, I've come up with a version of the Ten Commandments that they might approve of. My apologies to anyone (other than the Lord) that I might have ripped off to produce this list:

The New Ten Commandments

1. I am the Federal Government of the United States. You will keep no loyalty to any other governments.

2. You will not pay taxes to any other government.

3. You will not curse the Federal Government.

4. You will work whenever you must, wherever you must, to pay your taxes to the Federal Government.

5. Obey your parents. If you'd disobey them, you'd disobey me. So obey your parents.

6. Don't steal. If you'd steal from your sibling or neighbor or the corner store, you'd steal from me. So no stealing.

7. Don't kill any other taxpayers. Tax evaders are fair game.

8. Sex with anyone you're not married to is generally discouraged, but if you produce a child out of wedlock, I'll help you support it. Just don't complain if I decide you're an unfit parent and take the child away.

9. Don't lie to anyone. If you'd lie to your neighbor or your spouse, you'd lie to me. So no lying.

10. Don't desire or be jealous of your neighbor's belongings. Go buy your own. Support the national economy.

I think I might be on to something.

Kevin

HA,

In #2 do you mean not paying taxes to city / county and state governments. If so I'm all for it! (assuming of course federal taxes never change).

#3 infringes on my right to free speech.

Think we need to tinker with it some more to make it "perfect"
    Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
    MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
    Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
    Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Okay, so we change #1 and #2 to read:

You will keep no loyalty to any other national governments.

You will not pay taxes to any other national government.

#3 we can let stand. After all, with so many people in the country willing to repeal the Second Amendment, it shouldn't be that difficult to convince them of all of the good reasons to repeal the First.

Kevin

Comment

ROFL @ #8

Comment

Working...
        X