another flying first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another flying first

This Saturday, after practising landings (regular + emergency) at my regular airport (Ostend) in the morning, I could start plotting a route to another airport (Kortrijk-Wevelgem) and then back via 2 other points on the map.
    After some minor mistakes in my calculations (which were spotted in time), I could take off!

There I was... about the leave Ostend airspace... all by my self...
    (I have a feeling my instructor was more nervous than I was...)

Track 1:
    Due to some parachuting activity, I had to divert (and I hadn't even seen how to do that !) from my planned route.
    Luckily, Kortrijk has a beacon (I'm not sure I would have found it without the beacon)... Joining the circuit was difficult: it isn't a controlled airfield, and I'm not used to that; and it was quite crowdy. The landing went smooth, I got to go up to the tower to fetch a stamp (proof that I was there), and then I was back on my way.

Track2:
    Flying out of Kortrijk, I should have flown a heading of 109, but accidently I flew 019 (don't ask me how that came) for a few minutes . Luckily, I realized my mistake, managed to determine my position, and got back on my planned route to "Geraardsbergen". After overflying Geraardsbergen, I turned to my new heading to bring me over "De Pinte".

Track3:
    Very calm during this track. After some 20 minutes (my calculations were exact !) I overflew the junction of 2 highways (my reference point). So I could turn to Torhout.

Track4:
    There was some traffic on the way (air traffic control notified me of that: "2 helicopters on your 12 o'clock, range 6 miles"), but visibilty was very good so we saw each other miles in advance. As I was approaching Torhout, I was also nearing Ostend airspace.

Track5:
    Now this was a track I had flown quite a couple of times (but never alone). Still, everything went smooth as always, and I could soon join the circuit, and make my full stop landing. Then it was simply a matter of taxiing back to the apron, shutting down the plane properly and I was off to the club.

Needless to say I needed some refreshment and offered some dinks in the bar for celebration:
    My first solo navigation flight was a success!
    (my instructor said he was relieved when he heard me call Ostend on the radio)

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 3 April 2005, 08:46.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Congrats!!!
      now fly over here and I'll give you a beer!
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Congrats! I am soo envious, as always when you describe your flying

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, roughly how much has it cost you to get to the point of a solo flight like that? Just curious as to how more or less expensive other countries are in regards to aviation as it's depressingly expensive here.

Comment

thats very cool. congrats to you
            www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

congrats dude!

I've always wanted to learn how to fly.
              P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Cheers for accomplishing this! Closest I've come to flying, beyond commercial airlines, was in the back of an F-16B (two-seat training jet). Like az, definitely envious.
                “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
                  ... Closest I've come to flying, beyond commercial airlines, was in the back of an F-16B (two-seat training jet). ...
                  Closest I got was sitting next to the pilot of a little 4-seater (Cesna I believe) as she landed on top of a glacier in NZ ... skidding along the ice headed for a icy ridge and hoping we would stop in time. Then there were the rolls down the canyon just for fun ... and I have a fear of heights. Don't think I'll be flying myself any time soon.
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Sounds like a blast

I've flow a cesna before... of the balsa wood variety
                    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

O.K. I flew a PT trainer as a kid then.
                      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

@VJ Way, way cool
                        FT.

Comment

Oh, I forgot to add: You lucky bastard!

I've never been up in any aircraft at all, the closest I've gotten is the wide range of sims I've "flown" since the C=64 version of SubLogic Flight Simulator.

Comment

Congrats, VJ.. I'd like to do that someday.

Comment

well done

Comment

Working...
                              X